New Nebraska license option. Please discuss

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

New Nebraska license option. Please discuss

Postby teul2 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:17 pm

Just got this from Nebraska. What do you think about a 3 bird a day limit with no species / sex restriction option?

Dear Migratory Gamebird Hunter:
We are reaching out to remind you about the continued opportunity of two-tier in the upcoming waterfowl season in 2022-2023.
To combat the long-term loss of waterfowl hunters, Nebraska and South Dakota have entered into a regulation experiment (two-tiered licenses) for the next three years. These tiered licenses are as follows:
• Tier I – The “traditional” six duck daily bag limit with species and sex restrictions (eighteen bird possession limit)
• Tier II – A three duck daily bag limit without species and sex restrictions (nine bird possession limit)
Every hunter will have the opportunity to pick which tier they would like during the HIP registration process, which is required to hunt migratory gamebirds.
The idea behind the two-tiered license system is to allow novice hunters that have not yet fully learned duck identification the opportunity to go waterfowl hunting without fear of breaking bag limit laws.
This will remove barriers in efforts to help recruit, retain, and reactivate waterfowl hunters. These efforts will also help ensure and maintain the waterfowl hunting heritage and provide funding for wetland conservation.
If you have questions about this effort, please visit our website to learn more.

https://outdoornebraska.gov/ducktiers/
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Re: New Nebraska license option. Please discuss

Postby missed mallards » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:13 pm

I Don’t understand the upside to it?

In the scope of things 3 hens is 3 hens. With the 6 it still allows for 3 hens to be killed (big picture thinking). Yes some divers will be hurt but many puddlers will be ok I guess.

Does it help waterfowl? I don’t see how. There going to be a lot more stomped in the mud due to it.
Does it help a hunter? Let’s say yes for those who just want to kill 3? It just allows the “hunters” to kill whatever and I really don’t understand how the thought process of that lic came to be?

Me personally I enjoy the sorting in the sky as much as I enjoy the calling, patience, and kill. I do enjoy shooting 6 too. I’m greedy but try for drakes (makes a cooler fb post/pic).
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
Goose
Veteran

Postby Goose » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:22 am

I remember reading about this last year in Delta Waterfowl's magazine. If I remember correctly it was basically the result of a new hunter survey about things you don't like about duck hunting, and the response had to do with identification and being scared of getting busted because they didn't know what they had killed. The any 3 option apparently is an experiment to allow hunters who are scared of getting busted for not knowing what they have shot, to just simply kill 3 ducks and call it a limit.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:55 am

I agree^^^

It sounds like they are trying to allow novice hunters a chance to not be busted with too many ducks, like could easily happen back in the old 'points system' days.
Nobody owes you anything.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:08 am

So, you are saying we are now legislating laws to make sure the ignorant don't go to jail?
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
cajun squealer
Duck South Addict

Postby cajun squealer » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:49 pm

Bingo, Joel. The legislative dumbing down of America has now infiltrated the world of waterfowling. Consider the statistical consequences when there are no repercussions to failing to identify your target:
1. Skybusting will increase.
2. Non-recovered cripples will increase.
3. Non-game/protected species will fall victim.
4. Higher rates of hen harvest.

To add insult to injury, the ethical consequences will be even worse:
1. Diminishment of respect for the resource.
2. Failure to experience the up close and personal beauty of finishing fowl.
3. Failure to study and appreciate various species of fowl.
4. Recklessly shooting at unknown, unidentified targets.
5. Bastardizing the sport and art of waterfowling into nothing more than an immersive, dress-up skeet shooting experience.
6. The diminished experience will lead to diminished retention rates because those willfully and perpetually ignorant, passionless, topwater faggot "hunters" will eventually become bored and realize the time, money, and effort isn't worth it.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but personally, I'm holding off for the Tier III drive-by rodeo, unplugged semi-automatic punt gun, as many as your Class 2 GVWR or less un-trailered vehicle can hold daily bag limit (not to exceed bedrail height for uncovered pick-up beds), extended February/March experimental season with an until they start to stink possession limit to "reactivate" me.

But at least revenue from license sales and ammunition taxes will increase. :roll:
Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him.
--Willie
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:38 pm

Dang squealer I take it your not a fan of the legislation?? :lol:
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:20 am

Higgins,
You are my hero.
That is all.

PS, you forgot to call them flat billers.
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:45 pm

Think he left out the flat billers?? Think he put them in that basket with the top water group he covered!!! :lol:
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:10 pm

Wonder how many are going to op in for this tier ?

Are there any numbers yet?

I’m Kind of thinking that if it were a one or two year option per licensee lifetime, might not be a bad thing. In other words I would be hopeful the novice hunter would want to improve his game so he too could splash green heads at 20 yards.

If not, I agree with Cajun squealer. My apologies that I can’t remember his real name.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George

Return to “General Discussion Forum”