War Eagle Boats

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Drake2
Veteran

War Eagle Boats

Postby Drake2 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:19 am

Duck season just around the corner and not much new talk going on around here. I have a question for you owners or previous owners of war eagle boats. Anyone used them to repaint an older model war eagle? If so, let me know how it went because I’m thinking about doing some much needed upgrades and TLC to my 90’s model 1542.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: War Eagle Boats

Postby teul2 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:33 am

You refering to taking your boat back to the factory to let them repaint it? I am far to cheap for that.

I have sanded, self etching primered (the key), then painted my own boat.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Drake2
Veteran

Postby Drake2 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:28 pm

Yes. Trying to do a cost benefit analysis of the DIY route or taking it back to get a “like new” look from factory. I didn’t know if anyone here had seen a repaint job war eagle had done and if it would match a newer model look or not. About how much cost do you remember putting towards you doing your own?
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:57 pm

My '95 with Bottomland was in need of some love. Paint was worn off of the horizontal surfaces but the vertical surfaces were amazingly in great shape. I too considered the factory option, but the hassle and cost was a deal breaker, really the hassle factor. (most do it yourself projects aren't a hassle for me).

I went with the Styx River Bottomland paint & large stencil combo and bought some Parker duck boat paint as a base layer. I do not recommend the large stencil's, they were just too large and thus difficult to manage. The smaller would have been fine. I just looked, Cabela's doesn't offer squat anymore and it appears you can buy the four rattle can kit separately and small stencils separately from the Styx-River website for $69.

Preparation: I chose the hottest sunniest weekend in July, cleaned it up with a Dawn detergent, and applied the base layer of Parker duck boat paint early in the morning, then let it dry all day in the baking sun. (My brain is thinking oven cooked Cerakote, but I'm not a chemist).

got interrupted, more to come.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:24 pm

I can't get before pictures to post up, from imgur. Oh well.

Anywho, the stencils were fun but probably not necessary, I didn't worry too much about it, it's a duck boat. I guess I've painted three or four, plus a canoe or two? As long as the ducks don't mind, no Russian judges will deduct style points. I'm looking for a finished picture but no luck.

One of the rattle can "layers" was an odd rusty brown color, that didn't really match any "Bottomland" I've owned nor what was originally on the boat, but who cares, it's a duck boat.

Just depends on how particular you are about these things, Bottomland isn't a must, you could just do your own cattail thing or whatever.

Oh yeah, you can have my old stencils. They are the "large" style, and Bottomland. Just send me a PM.

If I need a repaint I'll get small style stencils or just go freebird.

Another good thing about DIY, is you'll have leftover paint for touch ups, and can keep up with wear on a smaller scale.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
Drake2
Veteran

Postby Drake2 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:52 am

That helps a lot. Thanks. PM sent

Return to “General Discussion Forum”