Pistol for Deep Pocket Carry

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Pistol for Deep Pocket Carry

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:40 am

Ok. There is a LOT of crime where I work. I am looking for a pistol that I can carry in a pocket, that won't print against my clothes, but will be effective in getting the bad guy off of me in a pinch. I ain't looking to start trouble, and I AM situationally aware, everywhere I go. But if I find myself in a bind and have to eliminate the threat so that I can go home, what pistol do you suggest?

Here are some thoughts I've had:

1- I don't have an unlimited budget.
2- The smaller the pistol, the better.
3- Recoil will be an issue due to pistol size. (I think an itty bitty pistol in .45 or .40 will only provide, at most, 1 or 2 shots on target due to recoil)
4- Capacity is not an issue because of target proximity. (I ain't going to hunt the bad guys down with this.)
5- Availability of ammo is also a factor. (This may be an issue since my favorite caliber is .32. But I also like 9mm)
Nobody owes you anything.
Goose
Veteran

Re: Pistol for Deep Pocket Carry

Postby Goose » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:20 am

I have been carrying a Smith & Wesson M&P Body Guard 380 for about 3 years now, and it works very well for me. I got an add-on clip for it that allows it to clip to my pocket, which works great with jeans, but not so well with slacks. It has no hammer to get hung up on your pocket, and it has a positive safety, which I really like. It has been in my pocket every single day for the past 3 years or so, and I have never had an issue with it, and I have never had anyone comment on it (in other words, they don't see it). In my opinion, the .380 round is more than sufficient for that application, the recoil is substantial, but not too bad at all, and it has a 6 round magazine.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:50 am

I have a Ruger LCP in a Hunter pocket holster on my person most all the time since I am in an office setting. It prints like a wallet in my back pocket. Not a sole knows what it is (cept the 2 guys from work with me at the store when I bought it). This little pocket holster allows you to get a full grip and draw the pistol, and the holster stays in the pocket. Accuracy is not really a thing in a barrel that short, so it is a "get off me" gun and that's it. It is for shots 5 yards and closer pretty much exclusively. I have literally missed a beer can at 3 yards with a whole mag with it's Keltec clone I used to carry.

https://ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html
https://www.huntercompany.com/collectio ... 500-series
Ruger replaced this which is just the Kel Tec knock off of the LCP.
https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/p3at/

When not in the "no guns allowed office" and I am not so worried about loosing my job over carrying, I am carrying a 9mm S&W Shield in a CrossBreed Mini Clip holster. The slim single stack 9mm Shield disappears under a tucked in shirt in that holster. But the holster clip shows. So, people who know what to look for, know what ya got. But, i'd say less than 10% of people know what to look for. I shoot this pistol pretty well given the size. So I can feel able to be more offensive than defensive with it if needed.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-shield-0
Looks like the Mini Clip holster I have was replaced with this one of the same style.
https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/hols ... lster.html
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:52 pm

38 special snubnose fits easily in a jacket pocket. Peace of mind for when you stop at the double quick in downtown Greenwood for gas and a box of chicken.
Duck Engr
Regular

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:59 am

I'll second the S&W Bodyguard 380. I carry it in the back pocket of my jeans with a "wallet holster". Fits well in my old wranglers but i bought some new ones recently and the pocket is too shallow. Trying to squeeze another dollar out to pay Brett Favre for marketing i guess.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101363829
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:04 am

I heard Kel-Tec is stopping production of their p11. That is about as big of a pistol as I would consider.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:52 pm

the keltec is close to the same size as ruger lcp and s&w m&p bodyguard. some prefer lcp 2.0 with a better trigger, but not sure how that effects prices. i've got an m&p bodyguard with desantis superfly pocket holster.
kahr also makes a smallish 9mm, but have never shot one so don't know how snappy the recoil is on those.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:51 pm

Another vote for the S&W bodyguard .380. You can get a 7rd mag that gives it a little better grip. I also carry a wallet style holster that "grabs" your back pocket. This seems to be the best way to carry when you cant hide it under a vest or something. During the winter months I wear a vest with a .45 Springfield xds tucked in my back. I have tried to get into the IWB kydex hostlers and they are painful when sitting.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:07 pm

I just bought a sig 365 sas (sig anti snag) in 9mm and it fits in my front or back pocket. You aught to look into this gun. I paid $600 for it.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:03 pm

My advice (u know everyone has an opinion) find some buddies, borrow, and go shoot them! I bought a ruger lc9 or something and hate it. Trigger pull is 7” and the gun ain’t but 4”. I can literally shoot at a 50 gallon drum within 10 yards and not hit it.

My grandad gave me a pocket 380. No clue on brand as I’ve never looked but can actually hit what I need.

Kind of like glocks. Great guns but They r not for me. If I can’t accurately hit something, it ain’t much good for me. And any glock I’ve touched (all models) have shown me I don’t need one.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:36 am

Apparently, I have become the 'go to' guy for advice on concealment pistols. Don't ask why, but....

That said, I had someone ask me about a deep conceal pistol that does not have a heavy trigger pull. (The bodyguard .380 has an 8 pound pull, a bit hard for an old lady.) I have heard a lot about the Glock G43. Y'all got any experience with that particular shootin' iron? (9mm costs a lot less than the .380acp bullets,)
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:04 am

Look at the G43X. Add the "MOS" version if optics like an RMR are desired. Then look at the "Shield Arms" S15 mags for it. Makes that gun a 15+1 cap. They list the trigger pull at "24N", which best I can tell is 5.4lbs.

43X
https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g43x-us

43X MOS
https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g43x-mos

Shield Arms S15 mags.
https://shieldarms.com/glock-43x-48-15-round-mag

If I had the money laying around, I'd have this on my belt right now with a Trijicon RMR.
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:16 am

I like the added rounds on the g43x. But the person who will be carrying this has very small hands, and the slimmer the pistol the better. Do y'all know of anything other than the G43 that fits this perameter?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:39 am

The Springfield Hellcat is nice, but the Sig P365 is nicer in my opinion. It fit my wife well.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:42 pm

I carry a Glock 43 but it’s been modified with an aftermarket trigger, Taran tactical mags, and an XS Big Dot Sight. It’s loaded with Winchester Ranger +p t series.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”