Pistol for Deep Pocket Carry

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Re: Pistol for Deep Pocket Carry

Postby Seymore » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:01 am

It was an actual CC class to get certified with the state. Even though it was a CC class I would call it basic. We spent the morning talking about the difference between single and double action; automatic vs revolver, the bullet and what makes up a round, what happens when the firing pin hits the primer ignites the powder, blah blah blah. I had to fight to stay awake.

In my opinion the whole thing is set up wrong. To get a concealed carry permit I think the applicant should first demonstrate to the instructor on the range that he knows which end of the gun goes bang and how to work. The range time should be minimal because all that's happening is showing the person knows what they are doing. If the person doesn't know what they are doing or they are just starting then there should be a basic course to cover that. The class portion should take up the bulk of the concealed carry class. The responsibility and laws governing concealed carry could be a whole semester course in law school and we spent 80% of our time talking about basic stuff in the morning and then the whole afternoon was how to hold the gun.

Of course what do I know. As I've mentioned many times before, I've got 4 daughters and a wife who tell me I'm clueless on a daily basis. Three of the girls have left the nest but they never really leave. They multiply and come back.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:26 am

So if you don't mind me asking, how many on this board have actually taken a CC class? Any recommendations? Thanks
Nobody owes you anything.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:18 am

I have not, but if I were to, I'd probably seek out cwink from here (Chad Winkler) at Boondocks Firearms Training Academy
https://boondocksfta.com/
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:38 am

I hate to keep bringing up this same question, but I have been looking and can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Is there a 9mm sub-compact or micro pistol appropriate for conceal carry that doesn't take a full grown gorilla to pull the trigger? It seems that what I have found available is that as the pistol gets smaller, the trigger gets harder and harder to pull.

Where is cwink when you need him? :cry:
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:41 pm

Not going to find one. It’s not in their “design” more/less. If you think about when u need to squeeze the trigger of a cc handgun, you’ll have the strength to get the shot off. Their not designed for pleasure shooting.

I do know several that carry a small darenger looking 22 mag revolver. Trigger is still heavy but not as heavy as typical conceal carry guns.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:51 pm

You could change out the trigger on a Glock like I did.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:04 am

Seymore is right. There are aftermarket triggers available for most Glock models. I put a 5lb trigger in my G27 that made it considerably better.
May want to dig around the interwebs to see if there is an aftermarket option for whatever you have. If it is that Bodyguard you mentioned earlier in this thread, it looks like you are out of luck.
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:15 am

You guys may be right. I think I saw something for a P11, but how much money do I really want to spend on a $250.00 GOMAD?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 am

That this is magical question.
You have to determine how much time and money to invest in equipment and training to match the value of your life.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:12 pm

I need to add an additional caveat to this thread. Arthritis has started kicking in with colder weather. Them darn skinny, itty-bitty guns with gorilla triggers ain't gonna cut it any more.

Any more ideas? I am leaning towards a Ruger. Not the LCP, but the one that is one step below that one.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:04 am

Can you name a few you have touched that you consider "darn skinny, itty-bitty guns"?

There are several good subcompact options out there that feel really good in the hand, and the aftermarket has options to make the trigger pull just about whatever you want.
tbost
Regular

Postby tbost » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:47 am

Check out a Canik. They have a great trigger and I haven’t had any problems out of the one that I have.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:01 pm

The best of the itty bitty ones I have seen is a S&W Bodyguard. I can see why it's so popular. I guess in cold weather I need something I can get this old crooked trigger finger around without too much pain during the trigger pull.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:55 pm

I gave Dad an M&P Bodyguard, but ended up taking it and giving him a Bodyguard EZ (380). The trigger and racking are both easier on the EZ, as well as loading the mags. It is a tad bigger, so not sure how well it would front pocket carry. His arthritic hands wouldn’t let him grip the slide on the regular Bodyguard to rack it, without a rag to help, but he can easily with the EZ.
Parkinson’s won’t leave him alone long enough to practice shooting it much..purely a “get off me” gun.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:18 am

I recently got a newly minted colt python with 4 1/4 inch barrel that I wear in a Galco Alaskan shoulder harness.

This son of a gun is bad to the bone. I’ve never owned a 357 before and I absolutely love this revolver. It’s cost me an additional 600 bucks or so to get set up to load for it, but it was worth it because it shoots like a dream.

It is deeply concealed under a lightweight coat right now that I’m wearing. Basically I put this sumbich on every morning before I go to work and don’t take it off until I get in bed.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to get my wife interested in shooting just enough to become familiar with some basic firearms knowledge so she doesn’t wanna end up like what was described above.

I think she thinks she’s just mean enough that she’ll mean somebody to death, and she might be able to pull that off, depending on who it is, but I don’t really know of a good way to get her to shoot other than to just withhold sex from her until she relents.

Haha.

I would anppreciate any recommendations on how to get your spouse to consider pulling the trigger a time or two would be most appreciated.

Obviously, I’m not gonna start her on the loud 357 when I have other pistols that are both more quiet and have no recoil.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George

Return to “General Discussion Forum”