Pistol for Deep Pocket Carry

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Pistol for Deep Pocket Carry

Postby teul2 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:29 am

Seymore,
Are those Win Rangers the "new black talons"?
They look nasty.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:18 pm

Just picked up another Sig P365 SAS at the gun show in Batesville this weekend. Cheaper than the original i bought.
Now i just need 1 more . All females in my household will have the same model gun!!
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon May 03, 2021 3:18 pm

I just picked up a Sig P365 with 3-12 rd magazines making it a 13 round gun. It is a sweet handling pistol for us guys that have to wear tucked in shirts. I don't see how or where it holds 13 rounds but it does.
OBoykin
Regular

Postby OBoykin » Tue May 04, 2021 11:08 am

I like my SW .380 Bodyguard. Pretty dang accurate for a small auto. I like the safety although mine is a bit tight. But that's ok with me because I don't care for it going off in church. :roll:
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed May 05, 2021 1:43 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, they are the "new black talon" The inside joke was that SXT stood for "same exact thing".
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri May 14, 2021 7:33 am

Another question for the DS Braintrust.

They always say that you should practice with the ammo that you carry. But how many of you actually do practice shooting your GOMAD* gun with the ammo you typically use in that gun? And how often do you practice?

I ask this because, let's face it; the smaller the firearm, the easier it is to conceal, but the harder it is to aim and shoot. My CC is not the same gun I take to the woods for when I come across a pack of feral dogs or hogs. It is solely used to eliminate a threat - be it by gently persuading said threat to leave me alone and go elsewhere, scaring said threat and convincing them that I am not the victim they want, to injuring said threat and thus causing them to retreat rapidly, and leaving said threat dead on the sidewalk.

Your thoughts?

(* GOMAD = Get Off My booty Dammit)
Nobody owes you anything.
Goose
Veteran

Postby Goose » Fri May 14, 2021 3:48 pm

To answer your question, yes, I practice with the same ammo that I carry. I carry a SW .380 Bodyguard and I try to pull it out of my pocket and unload an entire clip (6 rounds) on a water bottle, or whatever else is readily available, about once a month or so. I also carry a box of ammo in the console of my truck, so after I shoot, I just reload it, and when that box gets empty, I just grab another one. Like someone else commented, I too have found my SW .380 Bodyguard to be very accurate, and as a GOMDA gun, I think it will accomplish the objective just fine.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Fri May 14, 2021 3:59 pm

GOMAD, I like it!

Shoot it randomly. Never with defense rounds (cost)?

Same with all my other guns really. I have “fun” ammo and I have “ammo”. I rationalize it by priority. I hope to never need the “ammo” but hold it in case. Other off ammo doesn’t matter to me as much to waste (or use to not).
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon May 17, 2021 7:35 am

Interesting. I typically carry just basic ball in my GOMAD. I HAVE found that the super cheap stuff doesn't work as well in mine, so I save that crap for a last resort. The hollow points are reserved for my full-size-take-to-the-woods-and-other-travel gun.

I DO practice, but not consistently. And when I do, I focus mainly on the fundamentals. Handling recoil in such a small firearm is challenging enough. (I always wonder how those tacti-cool guys handle it with their 'super-subcompact' .45acp and they brag that it's loaded with ++P+ ammunition. I mean, that 1st shot MAY be close to on target. But that 2nd shot is skyward. And that 3rd shot is going to be from a broken wrist. :P :P )
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Thu May 27, 2021 7:37 pm

Y’all keep this topic going. I’m working with (training) my oldest daughter who is ready to start carrying. She’ll have to perform up to my standard before taking the actual class. I shoot fairly often using target ammo 95% of the time. The carry ammo costs more than I want to pay for putting rounds thru paper or in other items. I do shoot the carry ammo and replace at least twice a year.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:38 am

Another question along these same lines for the DS Brain Trust.

One of the ladies who asked me about a pistol (I told you that I have unwantedly become a 'go-to' guy for pistol advice.) also asked me about getting a permit to carry. My advice was to at least take the class, whether she decided to get a permit or not. What are your thoughts? I have heard pros and cons on both sides of this issue.

FWIW, I am blaming my bride for the influx of advice seekers. I think she's told her friends, "Just ask my husband. He has guns." :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by jacksbuddy on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:04 am

IMHO, learning more can not hurt anyone.
I have wanted to take the CC class for a long time (along with several other classes really). I just never went out of my way to do it as I'd have to travel to get to a range that offers one. But I feel that I am relatively educated enough to get by with out it as I seek that kind of information out on my own anyway.

So, I am of the opinion that someone new to firearms has a responsibility to educate themselves on the proper handling and use of the firearm they choose to carry. For their own safety and the safety of those around them. I'd want to know all that I was ignorant of to ensure that I was being safe (and we all know I am ignorant). I would hope that others would think the same way.
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:45 pm

I've got mixed feelings on the concealed carry class. I took one with my wife and I got nothing out of it but everything was new to her and she learned a lot in the classroom portion. I also think the instructor has a large part to do with what a person gets out of the class. When it came time to actually go to the range is where the instructor lost my wife. He got extremely frustrated as she had never fired a gun in her life and I told him so before we signed up. I bought a Ruger Single Action Bearcat for the small frame, single action, and the ability to load one bullet. First time she fired it she dropped the gun and ran backwards 10 feet like she'd been bite by a snake. He didn't like that and it showed but I expected it. From then on she just didn't want to have anything else to do with it because of his reaction and actions from there on. I think she'd have gotten a lot more taken maybe an all ladies course taught by a lady.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:11 pm

Seymore,
Was this a basics class, or an actual CC titled class?
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:29 am

Seymore, that sounds like my wife. Where she grew up, she was "taught" how to shoot a rifle, sort of. (This was done in preparation for when the evil USA invades their communist country.) Of course, nobody ever took this training seriously, and it certainly shows. As a consequence, my wife will not ever touch a long gun. And getting her to even look at a pistol requires that it have a sufficient 'cuteness' factor. She still hates the loud things.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”