65 / 65A

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

65 / 65A

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:24 am

Ok. The election is coming up, and "medical marijuana" is on the ballot. What are your thoughts?

Personally. I am against all of it. Don't want none of it. But! IF it passes, I'd rather have the lesser of the 2 evils, Initiative 65A. That way we could at least try to control it a little.

And fwiw, if it passes, I am putting a gun in my wife's purse.
Nobody owes you anything.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Re: 65 / 65A

Postby missed mallards » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:49 am

It depends on how it’ll affect each person on how each views it.

I don’t agree with it but drink so I’m sure if it was the 20’s and prohibition was at state it may be different.

65 for me. 65A only helps terminally ill from my reading. I have seen the effects of opioids concerning pain management. I’d much, much rather have on alternative that doesn’t morph a body as the pills that some have to take. That’s first hand experiences that I’ve had the pleasure of watching for the last several years.

That’s my take. And that’s why I may have the views I do. Would it be a problem? I’m sure? Do I believe it will affect the population as much as the opioids that are being slung and taken, I don’t know.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Curious if it did pass how would farming do in the delta????? More crop loss than hogs I would bet. This ain’t Colorado!!!!
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:54 pm

The older I get, the more I have trouble comprehending why alcohol and tobacco is legal but marijuana is not.

Seems to me the same right to privacy (that allows a woman to have an abortion) that our legal system has recognized to be protected by the constitution would also allow an individual to use marijuana and other narcotics. (You know, “my body, my choice” and all).

To be clear, I am not saying I agree that the constitution protects a woman’s right to have an abortion, I’m saying if it does, why doesn’t it also protect an individual’s right to get stoned.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:48 pm

Not an issue I’m passionate about one way or the other. Energy is needed elsewhere. But it is an interesting one to talk about.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:15 am

My main problem with either one is simple. Everywhere pot has been legalized, medical or recreational or whatever, societal problems have increased exponentially.

All crimes have gone up; from violent crimes to petty larceny.
Homelessness has gone up.
The strain on social services has gone up.

Not only that, but a lot of us have seen, first hand, where peoples entire personalities have been adversely altered by this stuff.

Sorry. But I am against all of it. That is why I will be voting 'NO' on allowing it. And voting 'YES' on 65A, so that we can at least try to get some sort of controls on it. Even though, according to the proposals, none of the tax revenues can go towards any of the above named needs.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:50 am

Can anyone link to a basic breakdown of what each one does?
I am basically against it all too. To many negatives to me. But that's my blind and narrow opinion.

And Jack, if you are just now thinking about putting a pistol in your wife's purse, you are late to the game. Mine has three to choose from depending on purse, outfit, and other variables. Fullsize auto, subcompact auto, or snubby hammerless revolver.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 am

"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:44 pm

I am against both also. More harm than good will come from it.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:36 am

From what I gather in the news and other commentators (so take it with a grain of salt). 65 is a multi-page amendment to the Mississippi Constitution that says Medical Marijuana is legal and protected in the State of Mississippi. The state health department is supposed to administer the program, and they get 7% sales tax to do so. BTW, they still don't get to regulate any of it, so this administration is pretty minimal. It doesn't provide for any societal protections, and the state has to loan the money to the pot providers for start up costs. 65A says the same d@mn thing, except that it gives the legislature responsibility as to how it is to be run.

In short, 65 makes it a wide open and unregulated industry; and 65A allows the legislature to regulate it. (Read here such things as: zoning ordinances, tax assessments for social and community services, In state production and manufacturing requirements, etc.)

All in all, it sounds to me like both are a bad deal. So I'm voting against medical marijuana. But on the second question, I am voting for 65A.

And as for a pistol for my wife, she is from China. She had to learn to use a rifle in school in preparation for the great invasion from the evil Americans. :roll: She hates guns. She will not even touch a long gun at all. (Which means that upon my passing, my nephew is going to make a run for mine.) I have BEEN wanting to put a pistol in her purse for a while. Heck, even our home defense gun has to be cute. I wonder if gunbroker has a pretty little pink pistol. Hmmmm.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:48 am

Oh, you know that there are some pretty pistols out there.
https://i.insider.com/5112280669beddc069000010
And pretty sure Hello Kitty would fit the bill.
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:37 pm

Jack, you have no evidence that crime has increased in states that have legalized marijuana use.

In point of fact, marijuana legalization has led to reductions in property and violent crime, and said reduction has enabled greater efficiency in resource allocation by law enforcement agencies.

Here's my source, from the center-right publication Reason: https://reason.org/wp-content/uploads/d ... -crime.pdf

I'm voting for 65.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:16 pm

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 19.1666903

And here's a source that says that it may do otherwise. Funny thing about research, depending on how you want to set it up, you can determine what you want to determine, huh?

I guess our votes will cancel each other out.

Oh, and I ain't gonna buy any more 'Hello Kitty' crap. We got enough of that stuff in the house already.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:31 pm

And imagine if you DID shoot someone with a 'Hello Kitty' pistol. How do you explain that to the first responders?

1st responder: "Sir, can you explain what happened?
Me: " Yeah I can. This here meth-head was a climbin' in through the winder over there, just a threatinin' and a cussin' my little girl. Well that child's cryin' was more than my wife could take, so she pulled out her little pink, hello kitty pistol, and shot that there perpetrator right in the nether regions with a 9mm marshmallow. Then she spanked him to death with a switch for bleedin' all over the rug."
1st responder: "Thank you sir. We'll write up the police report and give you a copy of it, just as soon as we change our pants because that is the funniest thing we've heard all night ----- and I just peed a little."
Me: "Okay, but who's gonna clean up this mess?!? My wife is still pizzed!!"
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:29 pm

Jack, your source states that legalization neither increases nor decreases violent and property crime. So, your claim that legalization increases crime remains dubious.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”