USM

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

USM

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:25 am

I still don't think we've gotten all the details as to just what in the world happened at Southern with Hopson's departure. THAT was just weird. But then, it IS 2020, and in the world of COVID, anything is possible. So....

What do y'all think is gonna happen next?
When do you think they will start looking for a new coach?
What is that process going to look like? (They do have some challenges, namely money.)
Who do you think they will try to get?

Oh what possibilities.
Nobody owes you anything.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: USM

Postby deltadukman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:59 pm

If I were a betting man I bet is has something to do with pen in company ink, or outside of football reasons.
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:30 pm

They got to big for their britches when they got rid of bowers and haven’t recovered since and won’t. He was loyal and not about the money or using it as a stepping stone as they saw others do. They have no money to offer so no clue who they would get for next year but it’s Covid so nobody is getting rid of coaches so something happened. Either way they will have very slim pickings for a coach since this is no ordinary year with many not even playing. With their schedule they have no excuse not to have a winning record and make a bowl every year
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:30 am

They fo-real lost me when they changed the name of the Dixie Darlings.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 am

They should go ask Bower to take over. I read an article the other day where a reporter asked Bower if he would have come back when they were last looking for a coach and he said yes. Firing Bower, I know he technically resigned, was the dumbest decision they could have made. A few of the "money" people and the athletic director at the time had this idea that Southern would and could advance to the next level. Until somebody drops a money bomb on USM it ain't gonna happen.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:38 pm

Here is an idea...... as I said earlier they screwed up trying to get bigger and Letting bowers go. Now here is the only way to salvage the program and fill seats they desperately need. Do like JSU just did........ they got prime time as a head coach so USM needs to get Brett Favre to coach if not for just a few years. If they suck so be it. Brett will fill seats himself. He could be the tim Tebow for USM. They don’t have the funds to hire a good coach so if your gonna lose at least get a high profile person that doesn’t need the money to step in a little while and generate a buzz. He coached high school so he doesn’t need the money and lives the game and could be a hobby. Just a thought.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:15 am

^^^Good idea.^^^

But not with Brett. Mississippi State did that with Rocky and it hurt us. Don't get someone who's place in university history is already set. There is no place for them to go but down. Find someone who was great at some other university. (Manzell's open. JK)
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:51 pm

Not saying Brett would take it but USM is broke. They are having to settle on JSU rejects???? There are no big names for them to choose from. They would have to hire someone outside the coaching circle that doesn’t need the money just like JSU just did. What is sad is they fill wayyyyy more seats for a game than USM ever could and that’s even when USM played the big name teams. Looking at their schedule they have no reason not to have a winning season every year. No doubt JSU will now recruit the best of the swac now with Deion. They would much rather play for a legend and big name than a no name that may can coach. Same would apply at USM. Fan base for games is non existent. More attend baseball than football. They need a jolt of energy with a high profile name and they just don’t have the funds to do it. Someone would have to do it because they care about the program and Brett would be the only option if he would even consider it.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:07 am

With USM's history of being a fairly strong defensive program i was gonna suggest Pete Golding until I looked up his salary. Dammit boy! He'd have to take a $600k cut! With the money P5 programs are paying coordinators these days, the hiring pool for schools like USM is pretty limited.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:18 am

Umm, anybody care to guess just how many head football coaches USM is gonna have this season? :oops: :oops: :oops: The AD has got to be pulling his hair out at this point.
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:48 pm

I graduated from Southern and was a season ticket holder until about 2 years ago when I just couldn't take it anymore. We traveled to most bowl games and had a big tailgate crew. Richard Giannini was the downfall of USM football. The whole deal with Larry Fedora taking the Hawaii Bowl before bolting to UNC just illustrated how incompetent he was. It was just a vacation before he left. Conference USA is a joke with the exception of LA Tech and maybe Marshall. There are absolutely no rivalries. USM would be smart to beg the Sun Belt to let them join. At least there would be some fan interest in the games. Austin Davis would be a good coach if you could get him to leave the Seahawks. Mississippi guy, solid NFL career, now in the coaching ranks, familiar with a modern offense and young enough to connect with recruits. Walk-on, turned NFL QB & Coach comes home to save the program. That would make a good story.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:12 am

That would make a helluva story. And I agree, USM needs to get out of Conference USA and join a conference that would be of benefit to them. (USM carried CUSA for years with very little to show for their efforts) Now CUSA has spread out so much that it can't hardly manage.
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:05 pm

I liked the Will Hall hire. Lot's of energy. Good connections to MS High School coaching network. His Dad, Bobby is the winningest in history. Recruiting class wasn't that highly rated but he got some good ones. Keys out of Taylorsville and Pitman out of Magee are a couple I'm fired up about. I listened to an extended interview with him. He plans on getting back to old school USM recruiting focusing on MS, S LA, FL Panhandle and AL. Those guys that are good but maybe a little small, too skinny or a step too slow for P5. Said he wants to be the destination school for those MS kids who went P5 and got homesick and want to come back. Hall said we need to quit talking about getting out of CUSA. He said we need to be consistent conference contenders, then perennial favorites, then see what options are out there. He said no other conference is going to want a bottom dweller. Made sense to me. Regardless, he got me a little fired up. Hopefully he'll do a good job and stay a while. If he continues to get good in state kids and start being competitive I'll go back
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:10 am

He is a helluva hire. He beat CUSA teams with kids others thought weren't good enough. The man can recruit. He can coach. And he can win. I believe USM will do well with him. As for begging the Sunbelt, give this guy a couple of years and I think it will be the Sunbelt that comes begging.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 pm

Those talking Brett Farve need to remember Brett is kind of in an odd situation with schools, Nancy New, possibly a volleyball building, and some USM people. Not sure if he is on the head coaching watch list or the FBI's watchlist

Return to “General Discussion Forum”