Honda Pioneer

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Honda Pioneer

Postby stitch » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:52 pm

Thoughts on the Honda Pioneer......anyone use it for ducks in the MS Delta/ How did it hold up?
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Re: Honda Pioneer

Postby missed mallards » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:59 am

We ran the 1k and 700 on many trips last year. They held up very well with no trips to the dealer to keep them going.

I would suggest a snorkel for them for insurance purposes. That’s any utv running in water in my opinion. And I’d suggest taking all electrical connections and hitting them with some dielectric grease.

The only complaint was with the 1k 5 seater and hitting water. Due to engine placement and the way it’s set up, passengers/dogs get a hot steam bath. The 3 seater and 700 wasn’t as bad. Also, the tranny uses oil, so they need a few minutes of warmup to work correctly. If u try to immediately crank and go the tranny is awful. 3-5 minutes when it’s cold does it and allows everything to work right.

Ride quality, pulling power, diff lock, and durability were all tested and held up great.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:43 am

I don't have any personal experience with them, but Gulfcoast has had one for about as long as they have been out and loves his.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:14 am

Get a Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT. Thank me later
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:40 am

We had a Mule when they pretty much first came out. The only thing we didn't like was the winch would drain the battery. but once you let it alone for a bit, it would crank right up. It was also great in water and mud because the air intake is overhead in the roll cage. Pretty cool idea.
Nobody owes you anything.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:16 am

The winch solution would be to just leave the engine running while you are using the winch. Wouldn’t it?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:17 am

I want an FXT bad. I’ve read of the Hondas eating O2 sensors if you don’t run them wao every so often.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:26 am

A couple of guys I hunt with have them. The 700 is weak is pond water. Two big guys and it seems like it struggles. The 1000 is a very nice bike. That cab is hot and the roll bars seem to get in the way. I am a Honda man and ended up buying a ranger. The Hondas are too cumbersome. The one running around one of my camps squeaks and pops and that shaft drive is jerky. If you are loading with fertilizer and having to load the bed around the roll bar, it can be a pain. There are pros and cons of each so pick your poison.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:38 pm

I hunt with three foresters that have the 1000's. They have been great bikes and will be my next one. They are a lot smoother Rangers IMO. These are stock bikes that have handled big black and MS back water just fine.
Peewee
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 am

The answer to the winch thing unfortunately isn't to keep the engine running. I don't know what it is about the Kawasaki, but even if you keep the engine running and use the winch, the engine will stop. It's weird. It isn't a big problem, and the engine will crank right up. The other problem with the mule we had (early generation, so they might have fixed this quirk.) was the fact that they had some sort of governor on the engine. If you didn't run the thing wide open very much, it would set itself to not go too fast. That too was weird.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:57 am

Air intake.....that is what attracted me the the Pioneer....I currently have a Ranger, it has been an awesome machine, but it is getting close to 10 years old, time for retirement.

We occasionally get some deep water on a road (3 feet). If I can drive through it, i only have a 1/2 mile to get to the duck hole otherwise I have to trailer my Ranger and make a 7 mile drive to get "around" the water. One of our holes is not accesable, same reason. I liked the Honda because of the location of the air intake. I understand I can get a snorkel, but if I am getting a new machine.....
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:58 am

jacksbuddy
That just sounds all wrong. Like the winch solenoid is wired to the wrong place all together.
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:43 am

Are you suggesting that the gentleman who sold that Mule to us lo those several years ago would do anything improper?!? Why I am shocked and outraged!

Of course, he DID go to Federal Prison for some shenanigans later on. We also had the Mule properly serviced by torch (of this board) a time or two before getting rid of it, and we haven't bought anything since from that particular dealer - nor shall we.

That being said Suh. For shame. No bourbon for you.

(Please note - This entire post should be read in your best Foghorn Leghorn or Shelby Foote accent.) :)
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:13 pm

HA!!
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:18 pm

Sounds like stitch needs an Argo more than a snorkeled Honda!!
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George

Return to “General Discussion Forum”