canoe / camping trip

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

canoe / camping trip

Postby teul2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:15 pm

Is there anywhere in MS you can still throw a canoe in a river, float down, park on a sand bar and camp over night? Dad and I used to do this when I was a kid on the Bogue Chitto and Strong Rivers. Would love to do it with my son too.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: canoe / camping trip

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 am

I wish I knew the answer to this for sure. But I think folks camp out on the pearl river sandbars still?

Wouldn’t this be the actual definition of “inside the main river channel” definition of public use of a navigable waterway?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:21 am

probably, but it will get hairy when you get out of the water onto dry land.
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:16 am

My first thought went to the Okatoma (sp?) River out from Seminary. There are a couple of canoe/kayak outfitters that might know if there are any sandbars you could camp on the stretch of the river they use.

Yeah, when you get out of the water you will be on private property. Could research who the landowner(s) are and ask their permission beforehand. I wonder if some landowners are ok with their sandbars being used in respectful a manor? Kind of like the public using their sandbars just comes with owning River frontage? I’m sure there are some that won’t allow it all, and those can probably be picked out by the number of Posted signs nailed to the trees.

For $25-$100 plus court costs you could camp, hunt and fish wherever you want in Mississippi. You would only have to pay that if you got caught. Not that I’m recommend doing this.
Scott Baker
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:45 am

Dang Scott!!

The biggest concern I would have floating streams in South Mississippi is whether or not you were in a dry county.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:49 am

Speaking of that. Wasn’t there some proposed legislation that would convert all counties to wet by default and the individual counties would have to vote to go dry if they wanted to?

Did that ever make it through?
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:13 am

Yes Andy that is correct . You can now possess alcohol even in counties that do not sell alcohol.. bout time we stepped into the 20th century.

Joel. I think on the Pearl River between low head damn and hwy 43 bridge that on either side of the river their is a boundary that goes up into the woods just a little ways. Heck, from Ratliffs ferry all the way down to the 43 everything on the north side of the river is wma.. What I’m trying to say is that the sandbars themselves would fall under ownership of the Pearl River valley water supply district (prvwsd)
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:59 am

Biggie, there aint no way I'd canoe down the upper pearl river in the summer. Some drunk in a $100K ski boat would run smooth over me. Or at the very least dump me with a wake.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:42 am

Hopefully you can find a place. That sounds like a fun little time.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:56 am

Black creek from Brooklyn to Janis Landing or a couple other down river public access locations is a great option for a one or two night canoe/kayak trip.

When the water is right, there are Plenty of sandbars along the way on National Forest lands.

Also, if you are using your own canoe, for a fee, the outfitter there in Brooklyn will pick your vehicle up from your put in place and deliver it to the designated take-out location so you don’t have to worry about two vehicles .
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:41 am

Yea GPS4, Black Creek is looking like one of the best options for public access / camping. I may have a way to do it on Bogue Chitto by staying on a friends family land sand bar. I haven't put plans in stone yet, but I may go with the Bogue Chitto.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”