COVID and BLM

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

COVID and BLM

Postby jacksbuddy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:11 am

Ok boys and girls, I have a question for everyone. And hopefully someone with medical knowledge on this board will be able to add to the answers.

Why has there not been a significant spike in COVID-19 cases directly associated with all the BLM protests/riots/demonstrations? Sure, there has been a dramatic rise in cases everywhere, but not disproportionately where these events have taken place? And will we see such a spike in AZ now that Trump has held a YUGE, mask-optional, rally there?

Your thoughts?
Nobody owes you anything.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: COVID and BLM

Postby teul2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:03 am

a plethora of reasons, but probably these 2 most of all.

1. those people out protesting / rioting are poor(ish) and can't afford the Dr visit as much.
2. the virus isn't as big an issue as the media makes it.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Odis
Veteran

Postby Odis » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:30 am

Another reason may be that the protestors don’t live where they were protesting. Like seagulls, they fly in, crap on everything then leave, taking virus with them
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:16 am

Two week incubation.

Just like the Newsweek headline from yesterday that showed a fake news article saying Tulsa had seen a dramatic spike after the Trump rally but two weeks prior to that they printed an article that said no Black Lives Matter protest resulted in any surge in cases.

Fake news designed to harm conservative viewpoints.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Here is the catch. Increase testing and you increase positive results. If you haven’t seen it in your area the primary care physicians are testing both antibody and swab tests to see if you have the virus or have had it. Positive cases go up and down when results are dumped in the system. Some results come back sooner but most are 48-72 hrs unless you go to the local ER and get a rapid test which I have seen a huge increase in. Call it a spike but you might as well call it the new normal I hate to say. It’s here and we ain’t going into lock down again. There seems to be zero rhyme or reason who gets it from protesting to Walmart runs. Will the “spike” continue??? Most definitely unless you stop testing. Most are asymptomatic and fine but go against numbers. You have to look at the overall numbers and apply those to the death rate to see how low the death rate is and see this is the new normal. The kicker will be what happens in flu season and how it affects people that are positive for both. Long ride before you see a cure so it’s accept the new normal or hunker down.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:54 pm

It must like sand! Several folks I know have it due to going to the beach. Just a heads up!

But yeah, I have no idea why there hasn’t been a surge

About talked the wife into a boat! Social distancing, price of food, and whatever else I can say has been wearing her down. Or at least I think
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:08 am

I take back the lock down statement. With numbers rising at a record pace I am pretty sure we will be locked down like never before soon. Not sure what these kids will do for school especially the young ones
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:21 am

^^^^^^^^^

I sure hope you're wrong. This quarantine has been terrible for everyone! Especially the young ones. It has very dramatically and adversely affected the mental health of a bunch of folks. Humans need socialization. some more than others.
Nobody owes you anything.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:44 am

Painfully obvious to me that the government doesn’t know what the hell is doing regarding the management of this.

So there’s a demographic group of people that are testing positive at an alarming rate. But is it really alarming if most remain totally asymptomatic through the course of the illness? Or maybe have a 2-3 day stretch of “the crud”

There’s a big difference between testing positive and actually becoming ill or even worse hospitalized.

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/resea ... 1-07-2020/

I’m not basing my opinion on one article from an organization I’ve never heard of before, this is the first one I found when I searched.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Biggest pediatric organization around, AAP, strongly promotes the return to school. Staying home is bad on many levels. Kids will go back to school.

Virus is hard to spread in an outdoor environment.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:48 pm

I am not sure how they will navigate schools now. Positive cases going to record levels and heading towards flu season is a huge crisis. Schools shut down to begin with on small numbers so the data they have now says schools can’t reopen safely unless they ignore data. They are proposing 3/2 splits which is stupid!!!!!!! It’s all or nothing. Here is what I am seeing in the medical side. The test kits are I abundance now so your local provider and hospitals have them at their disposal and can use them at will now which wasn’t the case months ago. Guess what happens now when little Johnny goes to doctor with a cough or headache etc??? Flu, step, covid test!!!!!! Problem was kids were NOT being tested and now they are. Will cause a massive headache for schools. They can’t terminal clean the schools everyday!!!! Example is in each class 1 kid pops positive??? They have to shut that room down and terminally clean it and notify all that were in contact. Then what???? We are heading into a very unknown future and not looking good with flu coming soon and no vaccine for Covid. Lord help us in November because we will be in total lockdown if someone has their way
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:52 pm

Have a little light reading.

https://www.newsmax.com/us/who-transmis ... id/971158/

From the no Chit department. If you are asymptomatic then you are not coughing and sneezing up droplets that go everywhere that are prone to contaminating other people.

It’s just common sense people.

But wait there’s more....

Even CNN had to print a story touting the Trump Corona cocktail.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/h ... index.html

Return to “General Discussion Forum”