Hello Fellows...Coronavirus Tread

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Hello Fellows...Coronavirus Tread

Postby Don Miller » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:53 pm

My first time back since the board came back online. Figured I’d start a Coronavirus threat. I’d like to hear y’all’s thoughts. It’s in it’s infancy stages here in the US I think that within the next two to three weeks we’ll get a better understanding of the health and economic impact.
"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Hello Fellows...Coronavirus Tread

Postby teul2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:13 pm

I kinda understand the "social distancing" approach that's being implemented, but sheesh are people weirding out over this.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Its like Y2K and Swine flu hysteria on steroids.
People have lost their freaking minds. I may get it and die but i will be damned if i buy into the media hype.
I say let this virus run its course........like every other virus that's come and gone.
Surely the vast majority of people will develop some immunity to it.
I know there are still a lot of unknowns about this virus but i dont think shutting down the world is necessarily gonna stop it but maybe prolong the agony.
The concern for over running the hospitals and wiping out the elderly in the nursing homes is my only caveat to the above statements since i have an elderly family member (plus im old now). Shut up Gator!
My 2 cents........cough, cough.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Odis
Veteran

Postby Odis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:33 pm

I’m terribly sorry that people are sick and some have died... it’s horrible! But the media and dems want Trump out of office so bad, they are willing to do anything... even bankrupt this country to do so, I know there’s a virus, I know it’s bad and really targets the people we don’t want targeted, I think, if you’re healthy with no other problems, you’re probably OK, if you get sick, you should recover fine.... we’re a lot more resilent than we think we are, my defense, wash your hands and stay out of crowds, hate crowds anyway!
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:13 am

My understanding of the current approach is somewhat increased / changed this weekend after listening to some different sources.
The reasoning for the "shut down the world" approach is in fact to "prolong the agony" as Bill so elegantly put it. "Social distancing" won't stop the spread, nor will it significantly decrease it. But it will slow it so that the health care system doesn't get over run and is not be able to treat those who need treatment the most. This is a rare virus, most won't get infected by it, and of those who do, 96%+ of those will survive it just fine. Apparently most kids won't ever even know they have it. And most that do get infected will be treated at home like the flu. But apparently there is finite hospital capacity. Mechanical respirators and ICU beds were call outs. And in places like Italy, their system is so over run they are having to make the tough calls of who they can treat (80 y/o sent home to die while they focus on the 40 y/o they can treat successfully). God knows I don't want to have to make the who can live and who can die calls.

So I get that. And in my head it is really just a bad "flu". Which most experts I heard kind of agree with (yea, I know I hear what I want). But JESUS H. CHRIST, why make a run toilet paper????
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:25 pm

I’m still struggling to wrap my head around all of this for sure. Seems now that all the crazies have stocked up on tp and water they are cleaning out the meat departments at local stores. This phenomenon seems to be worst in larger cities. I visited a Wal-Mart in Truman Ar and a grocery store in Hardy Ar this weekend and all shelves and departments were fully stocked. Here in Memphis its a totally different story.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Just went in the Grenada Walmart and was shocked. There’s nothing in the pharmacy nor home goods. Water ain’t there. Gatorade is so I got me some.

I don’t shop, as my wife does it. I called her and asked why salt was bought out. Salt. I mean really. Salt?

This just goes to show u how quick people can go flipping crazy. My wife made the comment maybe this year I need to shoot a turkey and find some crappie rather than take pictures. May come a time when living off the land is what we have! Crazy thought.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:58 pm

We have been discussing the virus issue around the office and came up with our own theory.

In early to mid january this year a few of us (plus 2 members in my family) came down with what we thought was the flu/ bud/ delta crud or what ever you want to call it.
We all ran a low to medium grade fever for a few days plus had a hacking cough and chest pains that lingered for over 2 weeks.
Me and my wife went to the dr on 2 separate occasions to get a cocktail shot plus meds and they didnt seem to work, it just eventually wore off. No one at the Dr office mention virus, they thought it was some type of sinus/respiratory infection.

I think this virus hit us back in January.........my 2 cents.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:17 am

Novacaine, you’re not the only one that happen to during duck season. except my example lingered well beyond two weeks.

I just hope the shale oil producers who have been able to keep us energy independent don’t evaporate from a prolonged $25 per barrel oil at which point we are subject to the whims of the world’s terrorist oil market again.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:31 am

We usually have around 22 people in our office from day to day.
Im one of 5 in office today. One person came in contact with a suspected corona positive person. The domino effect of that one person interacting with other office people has cause them to stay at/work from home until Monday.

Its a ghost town in our office. PARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTEE!!!
The result of nobody working/charging time on projects will have a devastating effect on cash flow her in 2 weeks.
SCOOTER
Duck South Addict

Postby SCOOTER » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:43 am

Slow in Tupelo, normal work traffic was half, crazy times are here, If something really bad happens in this country, all hell is going to break out.
Kids are like coots,they come in droves for me..........
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:37 am

Wife’s dental office shut down for two weeks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:16 am

Everything Trump has done since he was put in office has been undone in a week or so. Stocks plummeted and no end in sight. Unemployment fixing to skyrocket with businesses forced to close. Hate to be Debby downer but being in medical field I am afraid we are at the very early stage of this and you see what is happening!!!! Wait a few weeks when the testing finally gets done and results start pouring in. If after 2 weeks it keeps rising a lot hold on!!!!!!! Thought it was bad when you couldn’t get ammo?? Now add toilet paper and food.

Ever remember not having an Easter service at church???? Sad days ahead.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:15 pm

Our corporate office and all of customer service are working from home.
The distribution center and manufacturing plant I work in, all here (minus a few higher ups).
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:53 pm

My company has cancelled everything and sent everyone home with a pc.

Going to be something once everyone has to return to their cell after working from home.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it

Return to “General Discussion Forum”