Pearl River Flooding

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Pearl River Flooding

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:40 pm

Ok. They say the Pearl will crest on Sunday, but then we get some MORE rain next week. They also tell us that all bets are off after this weekend. The Pearl is already showing itself on the Interstate in beautiful downtown Jaxon. What damage/improvements, if any, does the DS brain trust think this flooding will cause?
Nobody owes you anything.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Pearl River Flooding

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 pm

My house did not flood and 79 or 83 but all my neighbors did. We were on a hill.

I’m sure it will renew interest in John McGowan‘s two lake project.

I would rather see the fish and wildlife service buy the Hinds side of the river and double the size of the refuge they are creating.

But the reality is there were a lot of houses flooded then that are still there today so I don’t know what you do. And a refuge would not help with the flooding.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:25 pm

Wildfowler, maybe I just don’t get it, but I can’t see HOA the two lake project will do anything to mitigate a flood like this one. It’s flooded levee to levee and then some. I figure McGowan has more interest in capital control than flood control. I just don’t see it working. Isn’t it designed to lessen down stream flooding? If we are worked about the rez’s emergency spillway topping, I don’t see how some project downstream is going to help. We just better be glad that dam weed wasn’t killed and the lake wasn’t at normal winter pool or it could have been much worse.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:50 pm

I thought Two Lakes died in 2009 and what they are working on now is called One Lake
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:13 am

Oh, I don’t know. I could be wrong about which version of the economic development/flood control project they are on now.

I haven’t heard any mention of any project for Jackson flooding in quite a while. But I wouldn’t be surprised if this renews interest in “a project”?

It would be nice if they could come up with a plan that didn’t destroy the bottomland hardwoods in the river basin.

https://www.wlbt.com/2020/02/18/one-lak ... isor-says/
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:19 am

So I dug a little deeper. Looks like they want to dig out part of the Pearl River and make it somewhat of a holding tank when the river gets high. I am not a hydrologist, but I don't think we can dig it deep and wide enough to accommodate the kind of flooding we have seen this past week. Levee to levee full and flowing at a pretty good clip. I(again not a hydrologist) cant see that helping much with a 100% empty lake project, much less one with water in it so that it becomes an "attraction".

I did find this article. Look at the low lying homes and business buyouts in $1000's of dollars. That equates to millions.

https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/photos ... /22/32537/

Also, I looked at land ownership south of the Barnett Spillway. A lot of that land is owned by the MS Fish and Wildlife. Is that now a WMA? Can we hunt that? I know at one time PRV was allowing people to hunt right south of the dam, but this is almost to Lakeland.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:18 pm

Can you screenshot the text to that article or copy and paste. I can’t get it to open up correctly on my phone.

It jumps to a picture of a flood map and that’s all I see.

Thanks
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:04 am

Wildfowler, it is a map. It shows the number of structures that would require buyouts for the project to continue depending on expansion, and the estimated money to do so.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:42 am

Which would include most all of lakeland drive.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin

Return to “General Discussion Forum”