River Otters

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
peewee
Duck South Addict

River Otters

Postby peewee » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:13 am

How many of yall have had river otters take ducks you set down on a bush only to realize that its gone at the end of a hunt. I am beginning to hate those things.
Peewee
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: River Otters

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:39 am

That’s not an unusual occurrence for me for some reason.

One time two of us were hunting at the edge of the lake and had a floating log behind us that had a knot hole perfect for placing the two gadwall’s I had collected to keep them from floating away.

Later in the hunt a River otter pops up right in front of me and starts barking at me. As soon as I flinched point my shotgun at it it dove under and popped up in another location nearby barking again. This went on three times like whack-a-mole and I realized it was not barking at me it was laughing at me because apparently it had made off with my Gadwall.

I went to leave and there was only one gadwall in the knot hole and there’s no way it could’ve fallen out on its own.

On another hunt, a teal gets shot down and is cripple, while it was trying to escape we fired a couple of shot gun shells at it only to have it dive as they sometimes do.

Moments later this teal comes up out of the water several yards away from where we last saw it. Least that’s what we thought we were looking at. Turns out a River otter caught it underwater and breached the surface for air I guess.

Teal had a bad day. Haha
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: River Otters

Postby teul2 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:55 pm

I haven't had them take my birds, but my dad has. I was young and had to miss that hunt because I was sick. And apparently it was a pretty epic day in the ice cause I still remember the description even though I wasn't there.

I have recently had some encounters with the lil guys though. Let's see if these videos work.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin

Return to “General Discussion Forum”