North MS Deer-CWD

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

North MS Deer-CWD

Postby deltadukman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Ok, lets spice this place up now. Seeing as the South Delta had an outbreak of CWD and the MDWFP killed off several hundred deer in the area(pre-flood) all the while working a deal with Anderson Tulley for the new Phil Bryant WMA, one has to wonder if there is a plan in the works in North MS for another pay for play WMA is in the works now. Thoughts? The dept is mighty mum when questioned as to how killing several hundred extra deer "for testing" is helping with a disease that they have no way to cure in wild animals, is beneficial.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: North MS Deer-CWD

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:25 pm

I’ve got nothing to add to this discussion but I just read the Phil Bryant WMA page on the website and right there on the front page it says Mahanah and Phil Bryant WMA waterfowl draw hunts suspended and they opened the whole dang place except the water fowl sanctuary to hunting so I guess it went back to a free-for-all?

That was nice of them. I always thought it would be interesting to go over there when it was flooded and see if you could find some thing that nobody else knew about.

How long ago was that put in effect? Did anybody do any good over there?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 am

Interesting, I didn't know they opened it up.
Peewee
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:37 pm

If MS has some N MS conspiracy going on then TN is saying “hold my beer and watch this.” They are absolutely eaten up with CWD just across the line.

Timing of the first CWD victim was what necessitated the sampling efforts. MDWFP needed to find out how widespread the disease was in that area, and deer season basically closed immediately after that first CWD-positive deer was killed.
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:10 pm

If I’m not mistaken TWRA is having all hunters test all deer killed before eating. I heard they couldn’t handle the testing in a timely manner and some folks were waiting 6 weeks or more to find out if the deer had cwd or not.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:31 pm

My question is this: What does killing mass numbers of deer, even post normal hunting season, accomplish? Sure, it may tell you how widespread it is. If it is wide spread, then is there a cure for it? What and where do we go from there? If its not as widespread as thought, like in the south delta where it was like one and "maybe" and few more, then what, you've killed hundreds over what is normally killed that were not CWD positive. I just don't get the mass killings all for "sampling data" to see how widespread it may or may not be. I am not a biologist, don't claim to be, and don't know all there is about CWD. Does it kill or harm humans? Is there a way to cure it? Do all deer infected with CWD die of the disease or can it be dormant? That's like saying we as humans need to kill a few hundred people in the US "just to see" if the coronavirus has infected anyone. Sorry, rant over. I just don't see the benefits outweighing the slaughter. I also don't trust the powers that be on our harvest numbers and limits. Deer numbers seem to be way down in a lot of places....maybe I just hunt crappy places :D
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:14 pm

It seemed like a perfectly logical next-move to me.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:55 pm

What I don't get is what killing a bunch of deer will do to stop the disease. I understand needing a larger sampling and over a wider area. However, my understanding is this thing is a prion. A mutated protein that mutates other proteins. This thing hangs around for like 10 freaking years in the soil so every durn deer in the area could be wiped out and then the problem still remains. My thoughts are that a cheap field test needs to be available to hunters so that they can check their own deer even if it is just a preliminary test. I take all my deer heads to the drop of station. I process the deer as I always have done and then sit back and wait for the official test to come back before eating any of it. I haven't gotten a positive test yet but if I do I'm not real sure how I'm supposed to dispose of it. Throw it in trash, burn it, what. I guess I'll call Jackson and ask what I'm supposed to do. I understand that it hasn't transferred to humans, yet.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:35 pm

MSU Deer Lab posted a new podcast on the topic today. I’d recommend it.

Disposal to a landfill is acceptable, although meat isn’t considered to be tissue that contains the infectious component.

Simple field test. Sounds easy enough. A man comes up with one of those and he’d be a millionaire before the month is up. I’m sure there are folks aplenty working on that.

What I don’t get is why everyone opposes management tactics just because there’s no way to STOP it. That’s not the objective. The point is to buy time by limiting spread, until there IS a way to stop it.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:45 am

How could you possibly stop it? Ask all the deer to line up for vaccinations? Crop dust the whole state (you'd have to include suburban areas) to get all deer?
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:28 pm

When I was in grade school in Clinton back in the 70s I think I remember where the entire state was being sprayed for fire ants. I'd watch the crop dusters out the window at Northside School while sitting in class. Environmentalist pitched a fit even back then over the spraying. Imagine the Hell they'd bring over spraying to eradicate CWD. It would be tied up in court for years.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:54 am

We need to have a gathering to formulate a CWD management plan for the state to take as their own to fix this problem.

Old Venice Pizza still open? Ha! I wish it was.

This group never got their panties in a wad over slaughtering snow geese. What is it about a deer that makes you touchy feely? You hit one with your truck, have them eat your garden up or rub your fruit trees to death, you’ll want to put a bounty on them.

Glad to see this place back up!
Scott Baker
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:12 am

SB. What about your new back porch as the meeting point?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:18 pm

Apparently SB didn't see my earlier post regarding the strolling goose problem on 463 during rush hour: And the extremely irate Ole Miss Soccer Grandma on her way to the beauty parlor to get her hair dyed blue again, that I had to deal with. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jus' so you know, we WILL be opening up the Colony Crossing WMA for early goose draw hunts next season. :P
Nobody owes you anything.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:58 pm

I’m definitely in on the colony Crossing WMA goose bonanza.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”