Anyone doing any good

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Anyone doing any good

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Anybody doing any good this year? We started out really good but it’s greatly diminished in the last couple weeks.

What say you ?

Oh ya.... if you can find any of this stuff it’s really good too!!

Edit: I guess it doesn’t let me post a picture so you’ll have to use your imagination. First person who guesses correctly is the winner.

Edit again: maybe this will work?

http://www.sipjacksonmorgan.com/salted-caramel
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Anyone doing any good

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:12 pm

Searching for more of this goodness I realized that salted caramel must be a thing now? Like chipotle was a few years back. Many brands offer this flavor.

I hate trends and trendy people but this $#!+ is really good!

I’m just testing this to see if the auto correction cursing has been disabled or not.
Last edited by Wildfowler on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:13 pm

Good to know that I am free to continue speaking normally into voice to text.

Ha
feather
Veteran

Postby feather » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:48 am

Last year I thought it couldn’t get any worse. I was wrong. Hunting prime private and various public that I’ve hunted since the mid 70’s and we just aren’t getting new pushes. Friday we saw thousands, most high flyers, but killed a few on private. Went back yesterday with a new plan and saw MAYBE 30 ducks. Poof! Just gone. Was a fair amount of shooting in the area in Tallahatchie county on Friday so did THAT pressure move them out? Don’t know. Nephew got invited to hunt a field s of Greenwood yesterday that HAD had a hundred or more mallards in it EVERY DAY for the past week. They killed 1 and saw maybe 20 all morning. Any ideas braintrust?
"Locked, cocked and ready to rock, doc"..Ted Nugent
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 pm

I got nothing to suggest other than just keep going because you can’t go again next week.
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:26 pm

Haven't killed scads of ducks, but are seeing enough and killing enough to be happy about this year overall. Killed mostly mallards and some woodies until the Tallahatchie started flirting with flood stage, so the past two weeks it's been about 25% mallards, 25% teal, and 50% ring necks.

Last year was our worst ever.

2 years ago (2017-18) was our best since 2004.

This year we've found the happy medium.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:24 am

If I were to rate this season, it would be a hooded merganser. We don't get the pushes we used to. I remember growing up breaking ice in ruts on a logging road in Scott County on opening weekend of deer season. I cant tell you the last time I've broken ice. We have a front blow through and it gets in the high 20's to mid 30's for all of about 24-36 hours and then its back to south winds and highs in the 50's and 60's in December and January. Its probably a combination of other stuff, plus me not being able to chase them like I used to, but I don't even get excited about duck hunting any more.
Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:29 pm

My season started off pretty good but over the last 3 weeks I’ve killed very few ducks. Definitely don’t get the pushes that we need late in the season anymore.
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 pm

About the same here in NW TN. Very hit or miss after the opener. Rivers have been out creating tons of backwater. No significant weather to push em down here in waves (stale birds that have been here for damn near 60 days) and no freezes allowing us to hunt the thaws. Damn reverse migrations used to be fun. Well, maybe next year.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:01 am

The boys and I are averaging 8.5 birds a hunt. Not great not bad
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:33 pm

What does your trend line look like?

(can anyone else post a quote without getting an error)
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:28 pm

Nope, quotes don’t seem to be working
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:15 pm

same for me on quotes, kelly.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:43 am

Put the sneak on a bunch of gadwall in a new spot this morning.

Used about 15, all brown decoys. Teal, gadwall, mallard hen, and spec decoys all placed in “J-hook” style because the wind was in our face.

Lights out, they never knew what hit them. Back at tailgate drinking a beer at 8:01....
marionfd708
Veteran

Postby marionfd708 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:35 pm

Have not seen good at all this season! Looking at making a trip to the Platte River next season hopefully. Been one of those Bucket list things.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”