Buying ATV out of state

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Buying ATV out of state

Postby deltadukman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:15 am

I am in the market for a new Polaris Ranger. There is a dealership in TN that is a good bit cheaper. I actually have to drive to north MS this weekend so its not that much out of the way. What makes it more even enticing than just the pure price is the sales tax. It is my understanding that if I pay cash and don't have to title it, then there is no point of sale-sales tax. I have heard stories about people getting bills in the mail from MS dept of revenue months down the road. Anyone have any insight into this? Has it happened or not happened to anyone?
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Re: Buying ATV out of state

Postby novacaine » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:31 am

What tha heck...............trying to beat the man out of his money. Corporate greed i tell you, corporate greed.

We cant ever have anything good in Mississippi cause of people like you!

Let me call the revenuer!!

Anyhow, i cant help you as i have never purchased anything out of state.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:47 am

They caught me. I got a real nice bill from the tax commission. Then again I was the lucky 1 of 5 so take that for what it’s worth. Still saved a good bit even with the tax to go oos.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
miket
Veteran

Postby miket » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:49 am

I live in North Ms. and bought one in Memphis once. Several months later I got a letter from either the state or DeSoto county,(I can't remember which) wanting sales tax,interest and penalties. I got of with just paying the tax.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:12 pm

To yall that got popped by the state, did you try and title it? Seems that's where things get "alerted" to the MSDOR. I don't care to title it and don't have to. I have heard of the other states doing an audit and catching the ones that didn't pay sales tax and then they alert the state. Also, if they are going to treat it like cars and other vehicles, why do they want to charge 7% tax versus 5%. Greed I tell ya.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:58 pm

I got caught in nineteen hundred and eighty seven (makes it sound like it was forever ago, don't it??) when I went to Memphis to buy a Honda 350x. got a notice for taxes about 3 months later from tax commission (MS). if I'm not mistaken, there is an agreement between most neighboring states to declare purchases from their residents...cash or otherwise. I paid cash for the 3 wheeler back in '87. no I didn't register it.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Vickers,
There are only 2 things in life that you have to do.
One is die, the other is pay taxes!
I’m wondering why you wouldn’t title a purchase like that. Is it only to “attempt” to avoid taxes?
I ask this because I don’t know (but I know you do)....can you insure it without a title? If so, what happens if it’s stolen or ran off in the river? Will the insurance company require proof of purchase or a title before cutting you a check? For example, it’s the same premise of not needing an appraisal to insure your wife’s 28K ring, but if it’s lost or stolen, how do you prove it’s value or ownership? Seems like it would defeat the purpose of insuring.

Just seems a little risky just to save a grand or so on the front end.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Since you got folding money, just tell them your name is Tater Salad and get a bill of sale, give them the address of the Salvation Army.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:52 pm

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:37 pm

RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:42 pm

I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”