Which governor candidate will be the best for Mississippi’s natural resources?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
SB
Duck South Addict

Which governor candidate will be the best for Mississippi’s natural resources?

Postby SB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Which candidate do you think would be best for Mississippi’s natural resources, Democrat or Republican?
Scott Baker
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Re: Which governor candidate will be the best for Mississippi’s natural resources?

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:00 am

Of the three remaining, I think Hood is the only one that frequently hunts.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Re: Which governor candidate will be the best for Mississippi’s natural resources?

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:01 am

Of the three remaining, I think Hood is the only one that frequently hunts.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:23 am

Tate's Finance chairman is adamantly against the backwater pumps, so there's that. I'm not voting for Hood.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:27 am

I don't think any of the three main candidates will do anything to HURT our natural resources. Hood is a hunter. I think Waller fishes. And Reeves is a politician that knows those who hunt and fish, also vote.
Nobody owes you anything.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:28 am

I have no idea and admit that I am not very informed.

What little I’ve heard from the candidates, none of them have made any mention of conservation of natural resources in their platform.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:54 am

I don’t give a hoot whether Jim Hood hunts or not, I wouldn’t vote for him or any other democrat if you put a gun to my head.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:58 am

That is a GREAT question Scott. Which candidate would be BEST.

I will preface that I am not a Tate fan so that is that.

IMO, Phil and Tate have SLASHED many of our states government budgets and the simple message has been do more with less, even when directors are struggling to pay employees. I know of four individuals in my organization we were able to recruit from MDOT due to this. I also know we have lost some great biologist and it wouldn't surprise me that this was some of the root cause of the problem. I am as conservative as it gets but I will tell you the do more with less has hit rock bottom (especially when we had and have less than the other states). I cannot get into specifics but I can guarantee you the MS hunter is missing out on being able to hunt some prime property due to the state will not accept the land b/c there is no $ to manage it.

I am a Waller supporter and I believe he would still pinch the MDWFP. His platform is education and infrastructure. Although I do believe he is wise enough to recognize the economic impact our natural resources provide include agriculture, water resources and hunting and fishing opportunities. He supports the pumps so that is a plus from me.

Hood - I am not sure where he would follow but I believe like Waller he understands the importance and would look after our resources the best he could but it would probably be for the interest of his donor friends rather than the general public (I could be off base here). I say that just seeing how the AG office has been ran.

The real kicker to me is who is wisest enough to appoint wildlife commissioners that are experts in their fields. We know where Tate stands on that issue (Vandevander).
Peewee
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:37 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:36 pm

Waller has been a Democrat his entire life until it was politically expedient to be a Republican. He’s going to expand Obamacare and be forced to raise your taxes to pay for it (see John Bell Edwards in Louisiana as an example). When you elect a Democrat, they govern like Democrats.

Tate sucks, but he’s conservative and has played some role in the purchase of the lands South of Mahannah that will protect and conserve lands in Mississippi. (I understand that there will be some here that were negatively affected by that too).

I don’t have an answer for the OP, but I do know that this is really a race between two Democrats and one Republican.

Interesting topic though...
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:55 am

Just the facts:

Brigadier General Waller is NOT expanding medicaid nor is he some sort of “tax and spend” rino Tate Reeves claims him to be. Here are the FACTS!

BG Waller has said he supports the HOSPITALS recommendation for medicare REFORM.

Problem: Under Tate Reeves lack of leadership, MS has lost 8 rural hospitals with another 31 hospitals in danger of closing their doors. Lack of rural hospitals will literally kill rural Mississippi.

Solution: The MS hospitals have joined together to come up with a plan to keep the doors open. The Medicaid "reform" proposal from the Mississippi Hospital Association, called Mississippi Cares, would be paid for with federal money, user fees and contributions from hospitals. The state would pay its share with fees levied on patients, and contributions from hospitals, NOT STATE TAXPAYERS.

Impact: 300,000 Mississippians would tap roughly $1 billion annually in federal funds. This would allow the 31 hospitals to remain open since they would not have to absorb uncompensated costs. These 31 hospitals are serving hundreds of thousands of Mississippians.

Fast Fact: The reform plan supported by Waller is actually the same reform plan used by Vice President Mike Pence when he was governor of Indiana. Mississippi Cares plan is a clone of the Healthy Indiana plan that is working and is based on conservative principles.

Facts taken from: MS hospital association, MS doctors association, Mississippi Cares, Healthy Indiana, Clarion Ledger.
Peewee
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:58 am

When a candidate has NO plan or solutions they turn to the democrat card. I’ve talked to a many people that know him personally from Clinton and they all say that’s false.
Peewee
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:29 am

Peewee, I’m not saying you are wrong, but how is this expansion made? Under what federal program? And how does the state pay its share and not involve the tax payers in Mississippi that provide the money?

Honest questions - no flame.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:26 am

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:06 am

One other question:

How does Waller’s Indiana plan differ from Louisiana’s that was implemented by their Democrat Governor?the Louisiana implementation has been awful and is/will destroy their budget.

Obviously, Mississippi more closely approximates LA than IN relative to demographics.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”