Ask Ducksouth - Abandoned Railroad Ties?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
booger
Veteran

Ask Ducksouth - Abandoned Railroad Ties?

Postby booger » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:51 pm

With my job comes a bit of travel. I pass by three locations that have a huge pile of old "abandoned" railroad cross ties. I say abandoned because they are used, and have been there for years, and since I can see them piled up between the railroad tracks and the road, so has everyone else has too. But they never seem to get pilfered, which surprises me, as I could have 101 uses for old railroad ties, so I figure so does everyone else, right?

Ask Ducksouth: Why does no one steal them? Is the penalty for stealing old railroad ties that severe? Why doesn't the railroad haul 'em off? Or are they trying to give them away with no takers? Can you buy them?

Inquiring minds, I gots to know. :)
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Re: Ask Ducksouth - Abandoned Railroad Ties?

Postby DoublePslayer » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:16 am

I looked into getting some that had been replaced a few years ago when they were swapping out a bunch near my father in laws house. My wifes best friends dad worked for CN for years, and he told me that the ones that get left are usually so split and busted up that they aren't good for very much. The ones that can be salvaged are already contracted out before they get pulled up. There is a guy that follows the RR crew around that has a couple of RR cars attached together and a mini-excavator riding in it. He will follow them around and load up what they take out and then sort the best ones out at a crossing that he can get a semi truck into. The ones that are decent get hauled off and sold to Home Depot and the like, and the busted ones get left. They are swapping out a bunch on the line that runs through Philipp on Hwy 8 right now if you want to go see it in person.
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Because they are heavy, nasty, and usually covered up ant piles, wasps, and snakes.
My opinion.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:28 pm

That makes sense, most of the ones I'm seeing are a little rough, but they've been piled up there for over two years.

Maybe I'll take one a day until I get pinched, surely a there's a good attorney on board here. :lol:
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:54 am

I could sure use 2 good ones for beams, and about 10 crap ones for a road bed in some crappy spots at camp.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:37 am

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:27 am

^^^this. saw a few bundles at tractor supply the other day that were in really good condition (most of them still had defined corners, surprisingly). didn't see a price on them (or the bundle), though.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”