Off Season - First Repair - Spotlight

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
booger
Veteran

Off Season - First Repair - Spotlight

Postby booger » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Boat Spotlight: I have always had a Q-beam spotlight and a fixed bow light. My original bow spotlight was the typical off road light, wiring "thru the bolt" design. I anticipated the light being shattered and purchased an aircraft landing light, to be the replacement when the inevitable occurred. However, the bulb/glass was never a problem, when the inevitable occurred (immovable object encounter) the housing and mount would be destroyed, but not the glass, thus I never needed the spare landing light in over a dozen incidents. After the last encounter, I had to accept that the thru-the-bolt, off road spotlights, are now obsolete, so I went with an LED light bar like all of the other cool kids, therefore the aircraft landing light lingered in the spare parts section of the duck cave.

This season my Q-beam hand held crapped out. So, this past weekend I took it apart for failure analysis. It's usually the switch, but this time it was actually the bulb. I can't understand why a bulb would quit after 35 years of abuse (manufactured in November of 1983), a "blue eyed" Q-beam bulb. :roll:

A-HA, time to replace this with the old GE4509 landing light.

The replacement was a smaller diameter light than the Q-beam, so I had to figure out how to increase the diameter. Decided that the simplest thing would be to get some 7/16 fuel line, cut it lengthwise and wrap it around the perimeter. It's going to get hot, so I decided to seal it up with high temp gasket sealer. Sealed the hose around the light with the gasket sealer, then had plenty of sealer leftover and since you can't just cap it and use it later, I used it to seal the new assembly to the light housing. Works just fine, and if the this light blows, I can just take a razor blade and cut it out. 99% waterproof too (the switch and screw holes aren't waterproof)

The only tricky part was that the Q-beam bulb was flat and the new bulb is convex, therefore extending beyond the frame of the housing if you just plop it in there. Had to set it back 1/4 inch to protect the bulb. Voila!

I wish I had more time for stuff like this. Completed McGyver set up.

Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Off Season - First Repair - Spotlight

Postby Wildfowler » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:24 am

Excellent repair!!

I have a Go-Devil navigating hardhat light that uses those same bulbs and they are plenty bright.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:00 pm

I bet you could put an eye out with that thang. Ha!

A good read. Thanks for posting. Now you need to show us how it looks at night. Will it be able to turn off a street light?
Scott Baker
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:44 am

They make LED landing lights now that use draw way less power. They are about 3 times the cost, but are supposed to last a lot longer too. Make sure you carry a spare something, since that thing is designed to have a lot of airflow over it and provide cooling.
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:09 pm

Off season--- first repair---- FLOOD!!! Dangit!
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:15 am

Goose
Veteran

Postby Goose » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:47 am

yeah, no $#!+ f the corp

So, hntrpat1, are you blaming the Corps of Engineers for all of this rain?

Just wondering your take on what they have to do with the extraordinary amount of rain we have received here and throughout the Mississippi and Ohio Valleys?
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Its not their fault for the rain. That is a fact.

But another fact is, it is is their fault how the water runs off now.

Im flooding, and plenty of folk are also. BAD DECISIONS BY THE CORP, ARE RESPONSIBLE!

From the MS to further up, all the way to Grenada. WE ARE FLOODING!!!!!!!The corp is responsible, they said with their direction , That this would not happen. Without the corp, the water spreads out, but is not so deep.

We are screwed! All of us. Read "The rising tide " to get some history.... Every library should have it on cd books....

Yall correct me in my wayward thinking.....
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:00 am

I have often thought that the corp and their infinite wisdom was to blame for a lot of water issues. We all know with out them, and their levy systems a lot of homes would be damaged on a much more regular basis. But by doing that, other areas pay some kind of price in one way or another. There are consequences to both action, and inaction. The LA marshes are a prime example. If the MS river was allowed to do as it pleases, the LA marshes would be in much better shape. So, the action of putting up the levies protects some property and enables the river to be better used as a shipping corridor. Inaction, not putting up levies, would lead to the natural meander path of the river. Thus naturally silting in the marshes. But that's at the cost of property flooding and shipping.

So pick a side. You have an argument either way. I side with inaction.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:07 pm

It’d be one heck of a gamble to say you want to turn back time and see where the USA would be without a MS River primed for industry and commerce over the last century or so. There’s a chance that scenario has us speaking German today.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:09 pm

What the heck are you hens jabberwalling about????????
How did this migrate from cool off season repair projects to people pissin and moanin about flood waters and the gubment???
Anyhow, where is all this dang FLOODING taking place that yall are complaining about??
Just kidding, carry on.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:31 pm

LODI ran this sumbuck off the tracks cause he can’t get a rize out of them duck”south” phasebookers :lol:
It’s all good though....just glad to see some people still use this thing.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:58 pm

8)

Hard to piss anybody off these days...
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:46 am

One topic leading to another and jumping the tracks, I wouldn't want it any other way. :D

Here is a nightime comparison between the rebuilt QBeam with the GE4509 landing light and a 1980's QBeam "Big Max" 400,000 candlepower spotlight.

The camera automatically got more exposure than I wanted but as you can tell the aircraft landing light is slightly brighter and has a wider spread. Not as big of a WOW factor but not a dud either. The heat is a factor, but I held my hand over both bulbs and the heat seemed about the same. It will take another spot failure to switch to an LED. And actually, my backup to the backup was a Streamlight C-battery powered LED pencil beam, but it became entangled in something and I gave that something an angry jerk, launching the light into the river, THEN I found out that they don't float so good. :oops:

I figured that a follow up was needed to bring order to the flood chaos. :lol:

QBeam:

Landing Light:

QBeam:

Landing light:
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”