Any veterinarian's on here?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Any veterinarian's on here?

Postby GET-N-RITE » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 am

Looking for a second opinion. Dog has a partially torn ACL. Vet said at her age 8 to let it go. Looking for a second opinion. She is small 40lbs hunting weight, however she is wide open. Vet said if we decide to operate that it is a very slow recovery, and I need to make a decision soon.

If it is more to it than just a reply I'll be happy to give my number to get some advice.

Thanks in advance.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Any veterinarian's on here?

Postby teul2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:48 am

I'm no vet, but i know a horse's @s$ when I see one.

IMHO, at 8, it all depends on your wallet, what you want with / out of the dog, and how much time you have to dedicate to the healing process. The cost is going to suck. I guarantee. Any leg surgery is invasive to a dog and is going to require a lot of tending to post surgery. Limited movement is the biggest. I would assume the dog will have to be kenneled pretty much 24/7 (except for potty breaks) for a while after surgery to limit movement.

Then you have to consider the dog. Is the dog well enough for surgery? Will the dog make a full enough recovery to warrant the cost and time? Do you want the dog in the blind bad enough to sacrifice the time and money?

Bud, it all comes down to you. What do you want? Hell my mom just spent the better part of my inheritance at the MS State vet school on a sh-it-eater lap dog with cancer to get one more year. So if you want the dog to get the surgery, take the dog to get the surgery.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:07 am

I second what Teul says.

I had a lab with the same injury. I had him operated on. I don’t remember the cost, but I’m sure it was expensive as I was at college at the time.

What I remember the most was keeping Jake in a dog crate post op for the heeling process. This was hard on him and me. He was never 100% again but good enough to hunt and chase women.
Scott Baker
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:24 am

She favors her leg, but she is still very happy / full of spirit so to speak. I was in China when she did it, and she got hunted another 8 days, cause she would still blow off the ramp. She had a paw cut, and that's what they thought it was.

I have consulted 3 more vets, and we are not going to do surgery. I do not feel great about it, but it is what it is. She is in no pain (that you can see out of her, whimpering etc). You can grab all over her, and she will never flinch. Best news is one doc said I would have never guessed she was that age because she is in such good shape, and he thinks she will be okay, but not great.

Thanks for the replies!!!
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:48 pm

I am not a vet, but I sleep with one nightly and I can tell you that I have heard her make this same recommendation more than once. I think she also recommends plenty of rest and kennel time with or without surgery. Sounds like you have made a wise choice.
Unlucky Duck
Veteran

Postby Unlucky Duck » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:08 pm

My lab had surgery twice for the same thing, different legs, First time at State second time at Dr. Kennedy in Ridgeland for half the cost and just as good of results. I would get second on him/her with vet versus State. Don't get me wrong there State is the BEST but this is a routine surgery for a vet.
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:11 pm

If you want a local vet opinion go se Filgo at All Creatures in Madison. Just another option
Odis
Veteran

Postby Odis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:48 pm

Anyone in Filgo’s clinic is a great vet! For what it’s worth, my last lab was an 85 pound meathead (loved him to death), but he was wrapped pretty tight too, at 4-5 (I think), he partially tore his ACL, not bad enough for surgery but was favoring his rear leg, I crated him, forced him to rest, only letting him out to air and potty, after the rest he was fine, out of shape but fine, on the other hand, I’ve got a friend that hunts A LOT, he had 2 dogs that he’d alternate using, one blew his ACL one year, the other did it the next year, he had them both repaired, the older one died a year ago (unrelated) but I hunted with the younger 1 (he’s 6-7 now) but that dog is going strong, at least 3 years, maybe 4 since surgery, ask the vet, but if it’s a partial year, might just rest her and let it heal

Return to “General Discussion Forum”