Does it bother anyone else

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Unlucky Duck
Veteran

Does it bother anyone else

Postby Unlucky Duck » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:50 am

Has anybody ever thought about how fishing and hunting are not on equal grounds when it comes to inviting friends. Let me start out by saying I get invited a good bit but refuse to go based on principle. Side note this is only the case in point if you and your friend hunt and fish together. If you are invited fishing and you never take this friend hunting then this is not the same. Case and point.
You have a friend(s) with boat. Invites you to go fishing and the proper thing to do is split everything 50/50, gas, food and overnight accommodations. However if you take someone hunting it is not the same although YOU pay for the lease, as most people don't own land, you pay for planting crops etc and most of the time you pay for corn or whatever for the feeders. Now when it come to food and overnight hotels or whatever I believe everyone should pay there own. But gas in a boat would be the same as planting food plots. Thoughts???
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Does it bother anyone else

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 pm

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:14 pm

In short, It’s a trade out.

If I invite someone, then no, I don’t expect anyone to chip in. Usually I’m going anyway and allowing someone to tag along.

When I’m invited I don’t expect to pay as that person was going anyway. If it’s an overnight stay and it doesn’t present a hardship I usually show up with food/drink.

Note:excludes room/food.

Now on a trip planned between a group then I’m all about chipping in. I believe in paying my own way.

I get off way worse when I invite someone and they want to invite someone to go. Now that gets me. Situations like that I usually let them split everything and I provide the place/tools. This don’t happen much anymore.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
Unlucky Duck
Veteran

Postby Unlucky Duck » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:19 pm

I guess I have cheap friends. They will breakdown the cost of fuel pulling the boat and all fuel and bait for the boat. And that is what aggravates the hell out of me. I don't say anything but like I said it is the principle. You show up at my hunting lodge ready to go. Not that I expect or would take any money it is the reciprocating idea.

Totally agree if a destination hunt that is not even in the same realm of comparisons. I am referring to going down to Louisiana and fishing for a weekend.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:10 pm

I guess my group of friends are different. Always the invitee/non driver/non host is trying to pay more than their "half" in a show of appreciation. if im invited im picking up most of the fuel, dinner a few times, the steaks, bait, etc. If I take someone and they want to nickel and dime and play tit for tat and not just pitch in and be a cheap ass, they more than likely wont get invited back. We're more of a "it'll even out in the wash" group of friends.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:24 pm

Unlucky Duck - I see what your saying. I think the difference for me is I would not want them to pay for any of the foodplots because then I wouid feel an obligation to take them. They might feel like they are owed invites since they have a stake in the property. I would’t want them to pay toward the cost of the boat for the same reason.

I would compare them paying for gas in the boat to bringing steaks to hunting camp.
Scott Baker
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:45 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Odis
Veteran

Postby Odis » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Some people have no clue what things cost. I’ve got a friend with plenty of money, he point blank asked me to take him dove hunting, I told him that we’d planted sunflowers that had failed (deer ate them) and even if it didn’t look like it, my partners and I had a good bit of $$ in the field, he offered to pay something (was years ago, when I said, well if you’d kick in something (I don’t remember the amount), but that would go a long way with my partners on the invite, first words that came out of his mouth were “you didn’t spend that much, I’m not paying that”, he will not even ask about it again and I haven’t offered since, this is a guy I’ve known almost my entire life, he will not join a club, just mooches off anyone he can, Money is not an issue with him, I think he thinks it’s no big deal, just keep mooching, I know of at least 2 times when people have said something to the effect of “hey there’s a 6 point coming into that plot, please don’t shoot him”. You know what happened next, like I said I’ve known this guy since I was 6 years old but I can’t take him, he has no control over himself
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:49 am

My crew is the same as Deltadukman.....if you have to account for every penny I’m out. I also enjoy creating a nice place and inviting appreciative people that don’t have the same opportunity.
leadsthebest
Veteran

Postby leadsthebest » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:04 am

If I invite someone hunting I expect nothing in return. I invited them because I wanted to take them hunting. We waterski all summer. I have 2 friends with boats also. We always ski in and out of our place. I feel no obligation to pay for any of their gas, nor do they feel like they have to pay for any of my gas. If any of us invite anyone to come ski, none of us expect any money for gas. Sometimes we will find a $20 in the glove compartment. When that happens it is appreciated, but it is never expected. Long story short. If I invite you to basically anything I plan on paying the way. If you want to chip in it may or may not be excepted.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:03 am

JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:10 am

Man I always knew your reading comprehension was bad, but............we can reciprocate :D
Unlucky Duck
Veteran

Postby Unlucky Duck » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:27 am

in closing, that was or was trying to be my point. My partners are of the mindset it will all balance out in the end. and I do not expect anything in return if I invite someone hunting, especially to pay for the hunt. It was the mind set of how things are different with fishing or in particular with some friends fishing where for the record money is no object. But to expect people to chip in to the penny on what things cost, to be honest he would probably come out better if he did not track. I would be the first to fill tank and buy dinner but it just drives me crazy. Off my chest. I am moving on!
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:50 am

Peewee
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:02 pm

We will have to discuss 2019 rates Chief!!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”