Anyone seeing ducks?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
sondance
Veteran

Anyone seeing ducks?

Postby sondance » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:06 pm

I am not looking for GPS coordinates of your honey hole. I don't want to know which WMA you are on. What I would like to know is a general area ie N Delta, Tunica, Crowder area if you are seeing any birds. I hunt SE AR and am seeing very, very few. I saw one field yesterday they were using well before the front came through but, I have essentially nothing on any of my leases. I am curious has a push come through and I just missed it? Essentially half the season has passed and it's all sucked. I have seen a bunch of snow geese (which I don't hunt) between Belzonia and Arcola which is normal. I have also seen more speck's than usual (on areas I can't hunt) but have seen WAY less Pintails, Spoonies and Teal than usual and more mallards than usually and the greys have been about normal. Again, I don't want any personally revealing info just a general duck report. If you hunt public land and are worried about internet scouting don't post up.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
booger
Veteran

Re: Anyone seeing ducks?

Postby booger » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:18 pm

I've hunted two different areas of the state, slim pickens.
Plenty of water now, but haven't even had wood duck shoot.
Need some cold weather up North.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:55 am

Haven’t loaded my gun this yr. something personal I guess. Just haven’t wanted too.

Seeing them and landowner is killing them. I haven’t gone the last 3 mornings and they’ve limited (multiple shooters) per morning. Are they here? No. But they have found select spots to seek refuge in. And they are being pounded at those few spots.

They aren’t everywhere but select spots are killing them.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks guys. I am just trying to figure out when to go back or if to go back. I've been riding and scouting and am seeing less than I have in years. You may have a decent shoot if you can let a place rest for a week or so but that's about it. There's just seem to be very few new ducks in the area. I went on the DU site trying to see if they were killing them north but it doesn't look like it. Most are asking the same questions I am. Maybe ducks have become the next sasquatch or unicorn.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:31 pm

I spoke to Mike and Lamar Boyd this past weekend and they were quick to say it has been the worst season on record for them. We aren’t holding any birds in any spots that I hunt in NW TN either.
Last edited by RedEyed Duck on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:39 pm

Saw a pair of mallards off the hushpuckena bridge yesterday
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 am

We're holding ducks, maybe because everyone around us has been shooting at them while we've been deer hunting.
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:23 pm

Post up some pics when you finally go into shoot them. I'd like to see a few dead ones this year even if I wasn't in on the festivities. All this rain is going to have them spread out big time
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 am

There are at least two factors that will make this one of the worst seasons on record.

1. It never got cold in the Midwest for an extended period of time; and
2. Even if the aforementioned was not a factor, there is so much water now that they’ll be scattered everywhere.

Between the potential prevalence of CWD and the continuation of poor duck seasons, the downward pressure on future generations of hunters in the state continues to mount.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:35 pm

I’m riding up 49 now at 130 pm. Lots of water in fields as expected.

Unfortunately I’ve seen more deer than ducks in the fields. Seriously.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:33 pm

I am not even going duck hunting this weekend. It pains me but what's the point? How's the saying go? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different result.

I was talking to a friend in MN this afternoon. She said they haven't had any significant snow. She said they would get it and it would warm up and melt. When I was on the phone there was maybe a 7 degree difference in temp between here and there.
Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:49 pm

missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 am

Been getting in a few shoots here and there. Picking up a few species on most every hunt (started this last week) with a good mix of mallards, pintail, & teal.

Mojos. Leave them at home. Man the jerk string.

Calls: either you make one quack and they flare or you have to blow it continuously for what seems like ever. There hasn’t been a In between.

Scouting and networking: they r swarming holes today and gone tomorrow. The rice field in my story was holding a few thousand ducks and so many snows I couldn’t even take a stab at guessing. Since that hunt, 2 mallards have been seen.

Our success has been solely based on opportunity. From finding them to killing them, the margin of opportunity has been slim. I like to shoot them in their backstroke feet over the decoys. Finishing them has been something we’ve struggled at in less than 10% have read the script and done the dance. The other 90% have been picking them off on that last pass. All 40 to 50 yard shots but not quite the same.

Anyway. Drove around yesterday and talked to 6 different groups that didn’t cut a feather. One guy said their group has killed 10% of their 3 year avg. It’s bad for sure. Need some weather up north. Like hard freeze.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Amen to all that MM...........
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:45 pm

I’ve had a little success calling in “call shy” ducks with my speck call.

But don’t anyone else start doing this. I don’t want to the few ducks around to get wise to my tactic.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George

Return to “General Discussion Forum”