HELP.. tired of being cold

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
billyho
Veteran

HELP.. tired of being cold

Postby billyho » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Need some opinions on base layers under breathable waders and socks. I bought the UA 4.0 top and bottom for a base layer last year after season was over. They work great in the deer stand (as long as I don’t have to walk too far) but under my waders by the time I finish throwing decoys I’m sweating. I wear drake fleece wader pants over them on bottom and usually a fleece pullover on top. I’ve researched all over the web and got some good info but would rather hear from folks on here about what y’all are using for base layers? Same with the feet... I’m wearing a “liner” sock and then a pair of heavy wool over the calf on top of those (smart wool). My feet are sweating terribly. Just some ideas and suggestions as far as what everybody’s wearing now days. Been doing this a while and guess I’m kinda trying to keep up with the times as far as staying up to date with the latest and greatest... or maybe my ass is just getting older and colder as the years go by. Any help would be greatly appreciated
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Re: HELP.. tired of being cold

Postby missed mallards » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:52 am

Merino wool. U want something that will wick the moisture away and I’ve tried a lot of synthetics. There’s some magical dust on merino.

I don’t know what kind of liner Youre talking about but I wear a thinner wool sock. Sweat plus cold = u freezing!

Best case would be to change socks after you toss decoys. Being that isn’t easily done duck hunting, a good wool (merino) sock does a good job. I only wear 1 pair! No liners as feet that can’t breath sweat. And once my feet r cold I’m done. Also. Get to your hole a few minutes earlier and slow down.

I mention merino as it’s properties are strange. You can get it wet but it still can keep u warm. Don’t ask me how. Something about how strands are designed. And I’ll add one thing. Shop for it. At times it gets cheap. Or at times they knock a lot of the price off to move it. Compared to synthetic it’s not that expensive if u shop around
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:22 am

Im with MM on the wool......but i use regular wool until i can find me some of that magic merichinno cherry wool.

Ive tried every sock combination and now just use 1 but i have a decent boot to match. At least 1200.

As far as sweating during deek launch. Take all that top stuff off and just face the cold while your during your prep.
Im sure you are like most of us, if you start out sweating on a cold day its just miserable.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:25 am

+ fitty-leven on the merino base layers. I have a thin set and a medium weight. Nothing breathes and deals with moisture better.

I layer, take off the big stuff when setting out decoys etc., and usually get cold doing that. Put the outer layers back on after I let some of the sweat evaporate and I'm usually good.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:02 am

What Bill said. If the walk in and putting out decoys are when you work up a sweat. Don't be fully dressed until you are done with setup. Don't put that coat on until you are done and get in the blind. I have learned this lesson the hard way a dozen times.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 am

If the OP is using SmartWool, I believe he’s already using Merino. The benefit of Merino is just that it’s so much more comfortable to the skin than regular wool. It’s good stuff.
britton
Regular

Postby britton » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:44 am

baby powder on your feet will prevent sweating
billyho
Veteran

Postby billyho » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:22 pm

Appreciate all the suggestions. The liner sock I was referring to is suppose to wick away moisture. So I’m getting all the merino wool suggestions. I’m in. Give me some shopping advice as far as where are you guys buying this stuff? What brand are you buying?
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Unscented OTC antiperspirant on your feet will help keep them dry. Don't laugh, it works.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
deerhunt1988
Regular

Postby deerhunt1988 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:38 am

I made the switch to merino wool this season and it is as good as everyone in this thread says. It also doesn't stink/hold odor like other base layers which is a major benefit if you deer hunt too. I have 2 sets (a light and a heavy) of First Lite. After spending a ton of time researching up on it, it is definitely one of the better brands. I'm 100% satisfied.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:41 am

I bought Terramar Thermowool from Sierra Trading Post for about half or less of the cheapest price I could find on First LIght, Sitka or Black Ovis brands. It is very high quality. Got the midweight top and pants for $35 ea. Can't imagine needing anything heavier south of the Mason Dixon line.

So, on the coldest days last year when it was single digits and big north winds, I wore those, a very thin pair of smartwool hiking socks, a regular weight Merino hiking sock, fleece wader pants, fleece shirt, a Sitka dakota vest, Sitka duck oven, and Sitka Delta wading jacket. Neck gaiter, beanie hat, wool gloves. Banded breathable waders. Stayed comfortable for hours.

I bought all the Sitka stuff used on the facebook group for relatively cheap. Do not regret any of it; the Delta jacket is some of the best gear I own.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:44 pm

While we’re on Merino, the merino wool Buff neck gaiter is the single greatest hunting clothing item I’ve ever owned.
billyho
Veteran

Postby billyho » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. At a minimum this gave us something to talk about for a couple days. I ordered the midweight top and bottoms from Sierra trading post today. The only thing I can’t decide on is the socks. As I stated in earlier post I have been wearing a thin “liner sock” and a pair of really thick smartwools over those. Are you guys wearing those merino socks alone? No liner?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:34 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:43 pm

I have a kiui light merino base. It’s awesome.
Put an old ll bean heavy wool over and can be warm most days. When really cold , a Sitka pullover. It’s almost too hot.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”