Browning Citori ???

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Browning Citori ???

Postby GET-N-RITE » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:07 am

Cool story but no need for all the details. I was given a browning citori 1986 30" barrles, fancy suitcase kind of storage box. Still have the factory chokes, and all the goodies. Anyway deal was for me to get the gun I have to hunt it, and print him pictures of the gun in some hunts. The gun has only been shot 10 times, I know this because I have the original box of shells he purchased when he bought the gun. The gun is very clean.

Guess question is can I or should I shoot the fancy shells? I do not shoot them now and shoot the cheapest stuff I can find. I was thinking shooting 2 3/4 loads, and only hunting this gun on opening day. Any special solvents and cleaning solutions to stay away from or use?

I do not have nice guns, I do not have any over and under guns, or any wood guns.
bucks n beaks
Veteran

Re: Browning Citori ???

Postby bucks n beaks » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:24 am

Would there be any reason not to shoot 3"? I'm assuming it is chambered in 3" correct? Unless you just want to keep it "low-impact" for ceremonial hunt purposes? 2-3/4" will kill 'em DRT as long as you hit 'em in the lips. :D Either way, as long as you're hunting it, and enjoying the presence of a fine firearm, it doesn't matter what you shoot. I have 2 Citori's (White Lightning, matching 12 and 20) and love them both. Albeit they are newer models than yours, they are the finest and most prized guns I own and I hunt the gee-wilikers out of them. They will still be around to pass down to my 15 month old when he's old enough, and I hope and pray he cherishes them like you will with this one. Use it like you see fit, as long as you keep your end of the bargain as laid out by your benefactor. Good luck with it on the opener.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:32 am

Don't over think the cleaning stuff. At the end of the day it's just a gun like any other. Obviously try to keep bore cleaner and the like off nice wood. Out side that you are all good.

An '83 model Citori should be a Miroku Japan made gun and is fine to shoot anything you want in it. So pick what you want to shoot with out worry. Steel shot included.

Biggest thing to care for on a nice gun is the wood. Dings and scratches are what are going to happen. I would think with your big boy blind shooting ducks with this gun will be easy. Dove field too. If you are out kicking water and hugging a tree it may be harder to care for a nice gun.

Congrats on the nice gift. But don't over think it. It's a gun. Use it.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:34 am

Oh, and post pics man. I wanna see it!

Also, here is a little history about the Citori that may interest you.
https://www.browning.com/news/articles/ ... ctory.html
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:09 am

Thanks for the replies. Only reason I was going to shoot 2 3/4 was that I have a bunch of 1 3/8" 3" loads I shoot. They are all 3's and 4's, but they have some juice to them, and I was assuming they would mule kick in this over and under. I do have a few cases of 3" 1 1/4 also.

I cleaned the gun up, and the guy that gave it to me come over, and checked out my duck call collection. I think he is more excited about giving it to me than I am about hunting it. (I am excited though.)

Pics below are taken the day I got it. This case hasn't been opened in probably 20 years. The choke tube cases still have the date and price on them ($9.98)

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:45 am

Good looking gun. You'll be surprised how the weight of the O/U reduces recoil a fair amount.

Have fun with it. That's what they are for.
Goose
Veteran

Postby Goose » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:16 pm

With 2 weeks left in the '82-'83 duck season, the extractor pin broke on my Remington 870 Wing Master, and the gunsmith told me it would take 3 weeks to get the part in, so I started looking at the guns in his rack. I bought a Citori that looked exactly like what you have. Yeah, this may be a "fine" gun, but is designed to shoot, and you will love hunting with it. Your Citori is one hell of a "working" gun, and do not be afraid to use it at all. The dents and scratches that you accumulate in the stock is just the character that this gun will develop with you over the years.

In 2014, after 31 duck seasons and untold numbers of 3" rounds, I started having trouble with my Citori not closing the breech after reloading, and I would have to take it apart and recock the cocking hammer manually. I finally called Browning and they told me to send it to Mid West Gunworks in Missouri. When I called MWG and told the guy what was going on, he asked me to look at the lever that opens it up and asked if it was left of center. I replied that it was, and he said that I had worn it out and needed to send it to him for a "tightening & rebuild", which should cost about $455 plus any additional parts that they find it needs. I sent the gun to him, and within a week he called me and said that I needed one other part that would be an additional $25 dollars or so. I authorized the repair, and within 10 days of sending him the gun, I had it back, and it was just as good and tight as when it was brand new....and the lever is right of center.

While it was gone to MWG I bought a pair of matching White Lightening Citoris in 12ga and 20ga, and man have I been satisfied with those 2 guns. The White Lightening is a little bit more fancy, but again, these are "working" guns that are designed to be used.

Congratulations on your most gracious gift, and take him for what he requested, and hunt with that shotgun, not just on opening day, but every day...... I assure you, you are going to LOVE that Citori from here on!
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:45 am

Thanks for the replies, and thank you for the post Goose. I am going to hunt it. There are millions of guns that sit around in a case that are way more expensive than this one, and they all have the same story (no stories.) I do not collect guns, now duck calls that's another story, however I do have many that haven't been hunted.

This place may not have much activity anymore, but it's still a place where a few post make a point. The replies give insight, and back ground to what they were meant for. Give me about 19 days, and I will update this post with a pic.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 pm

I have a Citori 725 field in 20 ga and a Citori White Lightning in 16. I love both of these guns. I have a Cynergy 12 that is dipped and am thinking about trading it for a Citori 12. Great guns.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
Goose
Veteran

Postby Goose » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:21 am

Hey Get-N-Right, One other thing about hunting with your new Citori......at first, you are probably going to be a little anxious about only having 2 shots. In short order, I found that I was a lot more focused on my shots, and thus shooting an o/u made me a lot better shot. Yeah there have been a few times in my career that I really needed or wanted that third shot, but those times are actually few and far between. A good clean double with that Citori just stirs the soul......... Enjoy !!
bucks n beaks
Veteran

Postby bucks n beaks » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:32 am

Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:30 pm

A friendly word of caution- Clean the barrels after each hunt (assuming it gets shot). Browning barrels are prone to form rust in the chambers. Once started, it’s a problem to maintain. But if you are diligent in keeping them cleaned and lightly oiled, maintenance won’t be a problem. This applies to most guns but I’ve noticed it more with the Brownings.

Congratulations on the nice gun and compliments to the giver.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:58 am

Well opening day was a success. Took the gun out, and you could say it got broke in. Awwww yeah don't know if it's luck or what ,but had 3 come in, and one broke off right by my side. Killed it clean, and it was banded. So almost a 7 man limit, and a band.

msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:26 am

Very nice! So I take it she felt good in hand?
SHERMANATOR
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 am

Awesome!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”