What's your secret for holding deer?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Barq's
Veteran

What's your secret for holding deer?

Postby Barq's » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:03 pm

I know I should have put this on the deer forum but felt like no one is hardly on here anymore. What food, additive, mineral, feeder concoction do you use to hold deer in your spot prior to and during hunting season? I've got some decent shooter bucks hitting my feeders daily but I'm worried about losing them prior to the season opener. Just planted my plots with buckbuster and plotspike forage feast.
Thanks guys...
Barq's
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Re: What's your secret for holding deer?

Postby missed mallards » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:09 pm

Bedding. Pressure. Food

Get bedding. Lower pressure. Food source seems to be covered with your food plots.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:28 pm

million dollar question I feel like the feeders are making them more nocturnal but how can you not feed when everyone else is.

I also think if you have pics they are there leave alone till wind is right and it’s time to hunt don’t keep going back checking cameras.
Get in where you fit in!
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:14 pm

Depending on where you're at it's hard to "hold" deer. I think in the hills deer roam more than in the delta. Just an opinion, based on where friends have watched deer from July to January roaming the same 2-3 blocks of woods in the delta, in the hills there is more access to hedgerows, cover for deer to move from area to area. River areas are probably the exception.

I also think that deer tend to have a summer area and a winter area. Too many times I have had a deer on camera only to see him disappear around Oct 1-15, w no hunting pressure, only to see him reappear in Feb just before he sheds horns, and there be no sign or sighting of him in 3 months. One thing that holds true for my area, which is in the black prairie area of east MS, is that the biggest deer we ever kill or see we from year to year, we never have pics of, which just shows how much they roam and adds to the unpredictability of deer hunting. When does get hot nothing short of a 12 foot fence will hold them to an area.
work hard, play hard
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:56 pm

mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 am

As said above food, cover, and pressure. Planting a variety of fruit trees that drop all different times of the year is always a good option. Plant mixes in your plots that have stuff for different times of the year.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”