What would you give up?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
sondance
Veteran

What would you give up?

Postby sondance » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:52 pm

I was thinking as sportsmen we are constantly on the lookout for new stuff that's going to allow us to kill more ducks, bigger bucks or catch more fish. But in reality, most of it doesn't matter. What have you acquired that you could give up or do without and it probably wouldn't make a difference in your hunt? I'll start but am interested in your opinion. Maybe we could do a follow-up thread on the must haves.

motion decoys or any kind with exception of a jeck string
new camo patterns
$1500 shotgun
high end acrylic duck calls
any shotgun shell marketing "technology" if you can't hit what your aiming as it don't matter what you are trying to shoot it with
old style decoy weights. TX rigs are better by far
any hunting partner who insists on blowing his call and can't. You know the guy
a wild dog that someone won't at least tie up in the blind until birds are on the water
massive blind bag with too much stuff that I can never find in it
$100 gloves that don't work any better at keeping you hands warmer than wool
High dollar wader jackets. I get just as cold with a low dollar one
ultra realistic decoys (does it really matter?)
those little flicker things (don't personally own any)
old waders with a leak that you just can't bring yourself to throw away
hard to put together layout blinds. In fact all layout blinds because I've gotten to old to get up out of them
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: What would you give up?

Postby donia » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:09 am

most of the items are “creature comforts”, then come the “marketers got me on that one” and then there’s the stuff in the hunting closet that rarely, if ever, make it out of the closet...but I HAD to have it.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:54 am

I agree with all you stated Sondance. At the end of the season, the following things are what go on 90% of my hunts.
Waxed canvas jacket and shell vest.
1983 Browning Auto 5
1990 Avery blind bag
1970s Uno Vac thremos (that still keeps coffee hot for 24hours or more)
2015 Chesapeake Bay retriever (he may warrant a stand or blind every once in a while)
Leather duck tote
D2 Olt and a DR85 on a lanyard I made.
and a dozen or two of whatever decoys (on TX rigs) I happen to pull out from under the house.

Gloves are garbage for the most part. I use hand warmers in my pockets, or mechanics gloves on those really cold occasions.
Wish everyone would quit using motion decoys.
As for shells, "I've got enough dog to shoot cheap shells" - goosebruce
I won't buy decoys unless they are $5 each or less. That means they are on clearance, used, or aren't the most realistic. Hell, I want to add some black coke bottles or pool noodles to the spread for motion honestly.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:00 pm

When you start out dead broke you understand the difference between wants and needs.
I have elevated my game on only a few items cause i am older and require old man creature comforts. Nice waders being an item i have grown accustomed to. Mine arent the $500 new ones but they are nice to me and i have a few pairs of them (macks neoprenes and rogers zip out liner type).
Im on my 3rd 870 and it should last me another season maybe 2.
I never could shoot with high dollar gloves so i carry 4 or 5 pair of cheap ones.
Calls.............between me and my son we have over 100 calls and ALL of them make some type of duck sound but i am partial to any duck calls made before 1970. Been toting a jerk string since i made my first as a teen (long freakin time ago).
Love cheap shells unless im shooting geese cause i DONT have enough dog.
I have also gotten spoiled on nice looking decoys.........or maybe spoiled to the texas rig instead.
I got me a nice McAlisters wading jacket cause my family said it makes me look dapper. I have a nice wool sweater cause it makes me cozy.
All the above listed NEEDs plus snuff, coffee, and some good hunting buddies and im pretty content.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:37 pm

When I jump out of the truck or loading boat etc. and as we are grabbing stuff I always tell who ever is with me "gun , shells, and dog the rest is just extras." Even though I have a world of gadgets and equipment I believe I could get by without most of it.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:09 pm

new and improved camo
Any kind of over priced ammo just need something that kills
Scent stuff for deer hunting(guess what they can still smell you with all that high dollar scent blocker and what ever spray is all the rage that year)
Fancy guns, now cheap-o’s are as accurate and realiable as high dollar guns
Fancy seed, most places you can disc up and get good stuff from the natural seed bed.
Latest greatest calls
Over priced decoys. $100 for a turkey decoy? C’mon man

Really the items I think are must have as I get older are things that allow me to hunt more comfortably. This allows you to hunt longer and enjoy the hunt more.

Give me a great sun rise and sunset and then an evening around a nice fire with good friends with a little college football and life is good.
Duck Engr
Regular

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 am

sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:21 pm

You guys are all pretty hard core. I just got to thinking about what I needed this year and decided I am buying nothing new. I have stuff in a closet that I've never used.

I remember the old red ball and canvas waders. The new ones sure are nice in terms of comfort. I agree with the hand warmers. That's a must have although I profess to owning some of those high dollar drake gloves received as a gift one year. I do like those rubber fleece lined gloves when picking up dekes or driving the longtail in on cold mornings.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Nothing at all! Everything I own has its place on every hunt!

After a long walk 3 years ago I made the decision to cut my stock back. I don’t think I’ve ever recovered from that walk neither. I hardly pack more than shells even when riding in.

If it don’t fit in my pocket, it stays in the truck. Same with deer hunting. My backpack has gotten real small!

Gloves? Got some wool gloves. They grey. They keep me warm. I’ve found that surgeon gloves under them keep u nice and dry. Buy a whole box for like 5 bucks and use them for years! And when wet, use the wool! It’s crazy but a frozen wool glove is still warm?
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:15 pm

This is getting slightly off topic but if you are the handwarmer type I highly recommend the Zippo hand warmers. Perhaps the highest return on investment in terms of duck hunting gear.

Edited to say the link won’t work just google it. Black one is $13
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:42 am

I'm glad you posted that, dan. I've almost gotten one of those on three different occasions, but wasn't sure how well they worked or if they leaked at all.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 am

i love my zippo hand warmer
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:16 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:47 pm

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman

Return to “General Discussion Forum”