Worst hunting experience

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Re: Worst hunting experience

Postby Deltamud77 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:40 pm

novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:38 pm

I have a few in the top ten but my all time mack daddy is the worst and yet the best.
I heard the thunder and saw the lightning but didnt want to leave cause ducks were coming in.
Well i stayed a little to late and found myself laying face down in the mud trying to get flatter than everything around me. Lightning was striking all around me. I was calling out some heart felt serious prayers.........If you let me walk out of hear alive i wont never, ever,ever make this mistake again. Thank You Jesus!!
Prayer answered, lesson learned. So now if i see anything strike in the distance.........Im GONE. I will come back and pick up all this crap later. If you rode in with me you better get on cause you will get left.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Duck Engr
Regular

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 am

There's not an animal in the woods worth chancing it over lightning. I too leave my stuff and high tail it when lightning gets close. Was on a surveying crew one summer and got knocked flat on the ground by a strike that hit a tree 30 yards behind me. We could barely hear thunder before that one hit. It made a believer out of me, quickly.
Duck Engr
Regular

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:11 am

Not a terrible experience compared to the ones listed above, but a few years ago, opening morning after a real good cold front, I was just getting leaned up against a tree a few minutes before shooting light when i hear my buddy hollering from around the bend where we had parked our boats. I run over to find him shoulder deep in the water, holding his boat up to keep the motor from going underwater. He had come in too hot to the bank, jacked the front end up, and swamped the boat. To make matters worse, he forgot to hook his bilge pump up the night before. I jumped in and held to boat up enough to get the transom above the waterline while he reached underwater and hooked his bilge up. Made for a chilly opener for both of us, not to mention we had to sit there listening to everyone bang away until the bilge had pumped enough water out to keep the boat afloat. He still owes me for that one.
bucks n beaks
Veteran

Postby bucks n beaks » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:16 am

Not hunting related, but lighting-fabulous. One of the many summers swinging a hammer during jr. high/high school. There were 4 or 5 of us nailing on the lathing to the rafters before putting on a metal roof about half way up the roof. A serious lightning bolt out of nowhere (bluebird day) struck a pine tree 200 yards away from the new house. When we all realized what the heck happened, we were all on the slab, an easy 15'-20' straight down from where we started. To this day, no one can say if any of us jumped or fell, but we wound up on the ground in a skinny minute. If it can come out of nowhere, it can definitely come out of the dark clouds that you can see. Leave nothing to chance.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”