Boat Question - MS River

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Re: Boat Question - MS River

Postby DanP » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:54 pm

deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:12 pm

Khound, I too have an 18’ lakesport. Damn fine boat but will beat your teeth out in chop. Don’t see that many up this way.

South wind on a rise is deadly.

One of my good friends dads who is an old school river hunter/crop duster used to tell me “son, they’re are old river hunters, and they’re are bold river hunters, but they’re ain’t many old, bold river hunters”. Don’t be afraid to turn around and call it a day, but be prepared to spend a day/night. Pack enough to make it though, and tools to fix about everything, some twice.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:14 pm

hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:39 am

Take this dang post down. Bunch of public spot naming SOBs! I thought this was against the duck south rules!!??????????? THE RIVER WILL KILL YOU DONT WASTE YOUR TIME
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:17 pm

What about during the summer? I just want to catfish it
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:13 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
bucks n beaks
Veteran

Postby bucks n beaks » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:01 pm

As far as catfishing goes, I've got a 1548 Express with 40 Yamaha 2 stroke, stick-steer that has had more time in the Big Muddy than I can remember. All safety advice mentioned above and then some applies. I've never been out before or after dark, but even during the day, you have to respect it. Know your area at all stages. If setting drop-lines tied to the bank (whether it be bushes or tree limbs or even tied off to rip-rap), never, ever approach from upstream. Plenty of gas, spare plug(s) and a spare prop are a must, as well as the basic tools, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. I've been lucky enough to have never had any serious incident or emergency on the river, except running out of bait or beer at different times. Know where the rocks and sand bars are. Make way for the tugs, watch for whirlpools, keep your head on the swivel for trees. They will rise and sink and eff you up. Also watch for them damn jumping carp. It ain't all fun and games like on TV where they shoot 'em with a bow out the back. Them bastages can take off an ear with their sharp gill plates if they hit you up side the noggin. And lastly, enjoy it. It is one of the best resources and locations for fishing in the world in my opinion.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:00 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”