Muscadine

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Muscadine

Postby dukhntn » Wed May 30, 2018 7:02 pm

Anyone here grow them? I’ve got a few wild vines on my place, but I just built a trellis and planted 8 varieties. Cowart, Noble, jumbo, magnolia, sweetgate, scuppernong, Frye, southland.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Re: Muscadine

Postby mshunter77 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:13 pm

dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Wed May 30, 2018 8:34 pm

No plans to, but I know some of those varieties are better for wine vs. making jellies, eating fresh, etc... Hopefully they’ll all make and I’ll have plenty to give away.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Thu May 31, 2018 6:18 am

I planted some last year. Didn't have a whole lot of room for them, so i just planted 6 plants. Three different varieties that came in a little starter pack. They did really good last year as far as growth, but a good bit of my vines were dead this spring when they started putting back out. I think those couple of really cold days this past winter hurt them.
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Thu May 31, 2018 7:40 am

Wish I would’ve started last year. Been kicking the idea around a while. How do the ones that made it through the winter look this year?
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Thu May 31, 2018 10:03 am

They are starting to come on now. None of the ones i planted last year died, but several feet at the end of each vine did not put out buds. They started budding early, and then we had that cold snap in March/April that set them back another couple of weeks. I was pretty aggressive with my fertilizer last year, so i was really impressed with how much growth i got last year. With the exception of one plant, they have already gotten back to were they were last year.
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Thu May 31, 2018 10:33 am

When those wild scuppernongs start dropping you know summer is starting to fade and cooler days, while still 30-45 days away, are at least being thought about.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Thu May 31, 2018 11:29 am

DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Thu May 31, 2018 12:14 pm

See if you can find some Triple 10. It's a little slower acting and wont burn them as bad, or so i've read. The book that came with mine said 10-10-10 on the first of the month, and Calcium Nitrate on the 15th. Don't do anything after the 15th of July, and don't water after September the 1st i believe.
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Postby dukhntn » Thu May 31, 2018 5:05 pm

Sounds like you got the starter pack from Isons. I checked those out and have watched their YouTube videos (he gives that same fertilizer schedule on them).
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Thu May 31, 2018 7:14 pm

That's exactly what I did. They had a free book that came with the pack that I got and have been reading up on them. Those blue tubes that they sell make a big difference as well. If you didn't get them, then I recommend you do.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:17 pm

I have an acre of them, maybe a little more. This will be 7th year for them. We prune them every February or March according to weather, cutting about 80% of the plant back from main growing vine. Don't over fertilize.
work hard, play hard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”