Suppressors, trusts

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Suppressors, trusts

Postby stang67 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:44 am

I have decided that I’d like to own a suppressor. Is a trust understood the best route to use nowadays? Any drawbacks to that approach?
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Re: Suppressors, trusts

Postby mfalkner » Tue May 15, 2018 7:37 am

Contact Mississippi Auto Arms in Oxford. The owners are also attorneys, they've done massive research on this and have it down pat. Good folks to deal with as well.

My take is yes, go with a trust, otherwise if something happens to you, your family can't legally own the supressor.
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 am

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 pm

So what’s the average cost and time of setting up a trust?
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 am

Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:43 am

And then it’s $200 for the tax stamp for each suppressor and the cost of each suppressor? Is that the extent of it?
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 am

That is correct. You'll have to pay for the stamp ($200), the suppressor, and then fill out a Form for the stamp. That form will be sent in along with your trust paperwork and then the waiting game starts. I don't know what the wait times are now for the background checks, but my check got cashed around December 1st. and the stamp came middle of April. That was several years ago, so it is more than likely different now. You can ask what the return time is when you buy the suppressor, and whoever you buy from will have a good idea what the return time is these days.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed May 16, 2018 8:37 am

I never really pursued this back when I got my 9 mm suppressor. Slightly off-topic but can anyone recommend a holster that will accommodate a Glock 17 with a SWR trident or octane nine suppressor installed?

Obviously the suppressor will have to pass through the holster.

Many moons ago there really were not any factory made posters on the market for this purpose. I’m hoping there might be now and I just have never looked since then.

I would prefer it to have a paddle or clip so that I didn’t have to undo my belt every time to wear it while hunting

Thanks
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Thu May 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Trusts take 120 days longer, on average, than an individual Form 4 for approval, some take longer, some have waited a year. I hear a lotta hype about new barcodes from the big company, (SS) and new processes, but the ATF is apparently not impressed, and they do things the ATF way. The simple Form 4 is quickest and despite any hoodoo you may hear, any attorney handling your estate can retain the item until it is transferred again. Not ideal but..........my wife doesn't want my toys anyway, your mileage may vary.

You can track the average wait times here, and join their antiquated forum to commiserate with those twiddling their thumbs waiting for bureaucrats to push the paper. http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/

Wildfowler - I believe this style with an open "bottom" is the easiest and cheapest. It's not that completely floppy nylon holster type, it does have some internal plastic rigidity to it. Also has a magazine pouch too. I picked this up at a gun show for a .22 with a suppressor. It would work for just about anything though. Suppressor just sticks out of the bottom. Kinda funky but it works, especially for the price, I think it was $15
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks Booger. I actually ordered this thing today. https://www.cryeprecision.com/ProductDe ... 1r_gunclip

We’ll see how it works, if it’s no good there’ll be an uncle Mike’s just like yours in my future.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:00 pm

Woody on here is an attorney and FFL dealer and did my trust. I have his contact info if you need it. It doesn't take him long at all. He even ordered some things for me as well.
randywallace
Veteran

Postby randywallace » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:00 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”