A little off-season fun

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: A little off-season fun

Postby Wildfowler » Fri May 04, 2018 8:03 am

Sometimes things just don’t go quite as anticipated. Like last night for example.

Farmer called me yesterday morning and told me the hogs are eating up my field and asked when can you get back out here?

Well of course I’m on get back out there pronto.
Sure enough there are hogs out here eating up his field. I spotted them about 500 yards away and began my approach.

Here is some video footage from the final few yards of my approach before I started shooting or actually it was before....... you’ll see......

This is flir breach helmet video footage of me walking from approximately 175 yards away down to about 75 yards away when I decided to set up for the shot.

When I loaded my rifle after seeing these hogs initially, I thought to myself that it didn’t quite sound right. I checked the bolt carrier and everything appeared to be close to home correctly so I went on my way. What I didn’t realize is that round that was chambered was not fully chambered. And I discovered this at the worst possible point in time.

You’ll notice in this next video there are some loud sounds with no reaction from the hogs. Luckily they did not hear me dry fire the weapon, nor did they hear me clear the malfunction and reload the rifle. I wanted to cry when I pulled the trigger and nothing happened.

And to add insult to injury, I just couldn’t seem to get out in front of this hog. If you listen closely I did hit him on the very last shot but I was fully expecting to have six or seven down from this group.

The madness!!

62BE2B36-C300-4182-B036-938752DB09C5.jpeg
Last edited by Wildfowler on Fri May 04, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri May 04, 2018 8:22 am

So after walking the trail of shame back to my truck I decided to load up and go check another spot nearby.

Much to my delight there was one lonesome for having the whole place to himself. Problem was that as soon as I slowed and pulled off the road so I could jump out and get set up, he took off for cover.

I decided to camp out for a while in hopes that he would step back out, periodically scanning the field with my roof top mounted flir Vue. I must’ve dozed off in the truck because when I came to I made a 360° panoramic scan and there he was right in front of me, having just popped back out of the tree line.

This one took two shots to be brought down, and I found him just inside the tree line.

FAF98755-8838-4A95-A89A-21CDBE1BC4C1.jpeg

This was the best photo angle I could come up with as the foliage was pretty dense.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri May 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Now come on y’all? I did not make this post so I could hear myself breathing.

I know y’all are doing fun stuff and I know most of y’all post your stuff on your Facebook pages. Can’t y'all post up here also?

Are we really going to let this place die?
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sat May 05, 2018 7:58 am

Ventilated a few more last night.

4EC96456-81CB-4848-ACEE-DEDE9691DBEB.jpeg
75117C4B-8147-46AB-A2A0-360CD27C0F4C.jpeg
BFF0816F-5C19-4724-82C1-C04956E08941.jpeg
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Have you thought investing in a suppressor? Seems like you may could get a few more quality shots in.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sun May 06, 2018 6:31 pm

mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Yeah hard to tell in video if you had one or not. You are correct if you are not using subsonic rounds it’s more for protecting your ears than not spooking the hogs. Now a 300 blackout with subsonic and suppressor is pretty dang quiet, just not sure what the lethal range is on that setup.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon May 07, 2018 6:29 am

Ya, the audio quality is not great on these videos.

I’m shooting full power 308. When I started this I was shooting 300 blackout but always felt like it was under powered and required precise shoots.

With full power 308 hunting ammo often times even with a poorly placed running shot will knock them down and/or slow them down long enough to get a better shot off to finish them off.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Mon May 07, 2018 3:44 pm

What fun!!! I didn't know what this topic was about, just checked it.

I respect a man who knows how to sling lead at night with infrared gear.

Friggin' hog's are such a nuisance. I'd offer my services but don't have the scope for the game plan. I have suppressors, ready for .308, 7.62x39, 5.56 etc. and long magazines, drums, beta-C mags, tons of ammo etc. I guess I am a daylight lead slinger only. Maybe OpticsPlanet is having a sale, hmmmmmm, I have to keep up with the Wildfowler man. :D

Looks like you could use something with a bi-pod and carry handle, belt fed? :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting, excellent work, waaaaaay too much fun!!!
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Mon May 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Utterly hysterical, I love the crosshairs out front, leading as they're on the run. :lol:

Will they hit the same field the next night, or most every night, or is it shot out for a few days?
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
ufgators68
Veteran

Postby ufgators68 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:32 am

So what do you do with all of that free bacon?
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue May 08, 2018 7:51 am

Last edited by Wildfowler on Tue May 08, 2018 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue May 08, 2018 7:54 am

Duck Engr
Regular

Postby Duck Engr » Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 am

That's a sweet setup. We've considered one like that but we don't have hogs regularly enough to justify it, yet. Have you considered using one of the trail cameras that sends a picture to you as soon as it's tripped? This has helped us tremendously with killing hogs. Phone buzzes, look at the pic, hogs are there, hop in the truck, ease up to the field, and let the fun begin!
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue May 08, 2018 10:17 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”