Tree question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Tree question

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:18 am

Wow! No new posts in a while.

I’ve got a question for the Foresters and the general know it all’s here.

Sawtooth oak?

I know they grow pretty fast. Is there any marketable timber value to planting those over pine trees? Pulp wood? saw logs when they get a little bigger?

Or is there value generally limited to the abundant acorn crop they produce for wildlife?

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
stang67
Duck South Addict

Re: Tree question

Postby stang67 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:40 am

Not a forester, but the foresters I’ve talked to generally regard sawtooths as giant weeds. They’re fun for landowners because they grow fast and attract wildlife quickly. I don’t think there’s comparable value to a pine, from a forest products standpoint. But a pine ain’t bringing much either, right now.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:24 am

What about 20-24 year old WRP “type” hardwood plantation that’s ready for a thinning?

Is this regular kind of hardware pulp worth more or less than similar pulp sized pine today?

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:04 pm

I think pulpwood is notionally the same in $/ton, pine vs hdwd. I don’t know if the ton/acre is similar on pine vs sawtooth plantations. A real forester could weigh in on that.

Google “msucares timber prices” for some actual numbers. May not completely answer your question but it’s interesting to look at. They even have it tabulated by region now. Here’s an example. http://extension.msstate.edu/sites/defa ... Report.pdf
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:05 pm

I am a forester but don't practice in the field. In my opinion I have never heard of a market for sawtooth. Typically the way they fill out in open sunlight I don't think they would be very valuable on the market especially comparing them with pine.
Peewee
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Hey, thanks for that chart. Mississippi timber report. I will remember that.

Looks like hardwood pulp is worth a little more on average them pine pulp across the state.

Any idea how many pulpwood sized pine or hardwood trees it takes to equal a ton, or how many of tons are on a typical plantation acre?

Dumb it down for me please.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:02 pm

stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:28 am

What’s the site like? What are your goals?

People like to poo poo on pines. I was once in that camp. In small manageable doses, I like them. We’ve planted a lot of pine, hdwd, and some containerized stuff from nurseries in the last 2-3 years. Can be both fun and frustrating.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”