CWD found in MS delta.

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Re: CWD found in MS delta.

Postby DanP » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:38 pm

Correct on 300 to capture 1% prevalence with 95% probability. On the timing, I don't know other than its supposed to be in increments of 60 to send off for testing. Personally, I would hope they sample 300 in the containment zone within the next couple months so we can have a better idea of what we are up against.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:15 pm

I agree. There will be some political factors at play in that area, I expect.

I found the county by county risk assessment map especially interesting. They had Warren/Iss cties as very low risks. Wilkinson and Pearl River were the highest. What do they have in common?
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 pm

So if you are in the 10 mile radius you possibly may have to debone your meat and won’t be able to use your own cape for a shoulder mount? Also would have to go ahead and clean all the tissue off for a skull mount?
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:39 am

It will not be hard to get 60 deer within that 10 mile area. With the river expected to be at 32'+ next week, deer will start moving to higher ground pockets.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
TK
Regular

Postby TK » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:39 pm

I really don't know a lot about cwd but it has been in the unit I elk hunt in CO for over 10 years that I know of. The elk stay in herds out there so I wouldn't think deer using the same feeder would be any worse than elk that herd together. It's very common to see 100 or more elk together everyday. They don't separate unless forced to do so. It hasn't wiped them out.

They offer free testing for cwd if you take your head to the game warden. We honestly never give it a second thought. I would guess between all the rifle seasons where I hunt on private land we bring 30 elk a year back to MS. We eat them all and don't worry about cwd. We may be taking a bigger risk than we realize. You never hear the game wardens or local talk about cwd though. There is information in there hunting guide but not anything to make me worried about getting it from consumption of elk meat.
country_20boy
Veteran

Postby country_20boy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:36 pm

DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 pm

The truth is this started with deer in a pen and has been spread by deer from a pen. Deer in a pen have been illegally transported to other areas/states and have caused a lot of grief. Now it is being spread in the wild which originally came from deer in a pen. That is the truth.

According to the video above it is thought to come from sheep. So it changed form/mutated to infect deer. So what's to say it can't change / mutate again to infect other animals or people. The similar mad cow disease was thought to not infect people for years then people started dying from it, several hundred people. The solution was to kill 4.5 million cows in the UK. There is no cure for animals or people. If it did change where humans could get it many people could be infected before any one noticed due to the long incubation periods.

This is going to take a toll on the already taxed budgets. Think of all the time and money will be spent on this(think man power , testing stations, etc.)

If there is ever a time to get it out of the state it is now! I realize there are no proven solutions but now is the time to try.

All thanks to high fences !
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:59 pm

""" All thanks to high fences !!! """.

Correction: """All thanks to a Colorado state-constructed-and-operated high fence.""".....not privately-owned high fences.

You need to watch the above video.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:56 am

That video is about 40% fact and 60% propaganda.
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:18 am

I humbly agree to disagree.....please expound on the facts vs. propaganda.
Last edited by dukluk on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:57 pm

pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Yeah, I stopped watching when Keith Warren gave it his stamp of approval.
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 am

Yeah. Watching that propaganda is almost as obnoxious as watching the trumpy bear commercial.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:33 pm

Well I been down with the Flu so I haven't been hearing and been bombarded with CWD articles and the like...whats happening now. Whats this high water going to do? Make it easier to dample the deer or push the possibly infected deer out of the area and towards the hills? How long does it take to test a deer?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”