CWD found in MS delta.

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Re: CWD found in MS delta.

Postby stang67 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:42 pm

I remember in S MS some folks had obtained deer from a facility outside the state that had had deer that tested positive, but I not remember them finding deer in and that tested positive. Could be wrong.
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:56 pm

It would be prudent to immediately ban baiting and supplemental feeding statewide.

We've only known of CWD for 50 years and there is still much to be learned about it. Last year we discovered that it can jump from deer meat to primates, so it would appear that the species differences that serve as a transmission barrier between humans and deer are not as robust as we once thought.

So, there are two threats from CWD: decimation of the deer herd and potential transmission to humans.
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:17 pm

"""So, there are two threats from CWD: decimation of the deer herd and potential transmission to humans."""

So, are they gonna knock some humans up side the head, and test them, too ??? .....just kiddin'. ;)
country_20boy
Veteran

Postby country_20boy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm

DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

So any theories on where it came from?
AR?
southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:23 pm

stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Oh and by the way, our state is way past broke. Reckon they can sell Canemount and use that money for a good testing system? I’m not joking.
southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:52 pm

mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:25 pm

peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 am

Peewee
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:18 am

Sorry I’m so late to the party, I’ve been working on a small island with very limited power recently.

IMO, CWD is going to be found in a larger area than where they already know it is. How did it get here. That’s easy, big $$$ plain and simple and very likely from OOS whom have purchased properties and brought deer in like cattle to improve herd genetics. If you don’t think this has happened in the state your fooling yourself.

But that’s not the worst part. The worst part is the state let’s the governor appoint commissioners whom they claim to be great CONSERVATIONISTS. Decisions concerning our state’s wildlife should come from trained educated wildlife biologist. Not from someone who’s a real estate tycoon or owns a large construction company and believes in high fence hunting.

It’s hard to believe how far we have moved from being true conservationist in the last 15 years. The arguments I hear for baiting are ridiculous. Hunters ethics have fallen so low that Teddy Roosevelt may have turned over in his grave. There so much jealousy between neighbors, club members and landowners for big bucks it’s sad. It’s ruined the spirit of hunting.
I have been lucky the last few years as I hunt with friends and the neighbors that hunt next to me are my friends also. For the most part we focus on getting kids on deer and I love it. I’ve been on both sides of the coin. I bought into the big buck craze at once and I remember getting pissed at a FRIEND for killing a deer I had leg walk. Luckily I had a good wife that reminded me it’s just a damn deer. A relationship should never be compromised over a buck. But we have let it get to this point and unfortunately we are all fixing to pay the consequences due to this disease.
Peewee
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 am

What about a turkey PeeWee......I think it's worth losing some friends over a big ol gobbla :D The world is not going to end because of CWD. Folks should chill out a little and let this thing take its course. Not much else we can do anyway.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 am

Amen PeeWee and I'll call him by name. Billy DeViney. He owns a high fence, pushes that agenda, and is the driving force on the MDWFP Commission pushing the feeding and fencing issue the most. He's openly arrogant to the common hunter and I have seen it a few times. Hell we have a guy from Cleveland that owns a magazine, has a membership at Donaldson Point, and hardly ever hunts. None of us on here would call him an "outdoorsman", yet he's on the board because of strings pulled and money. This issue of who and how our commissioners are appointed have rubbed me the wrong way for many years.
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 am

About 50 years ago, Texas started importing exotic non-native game animals of every specie from every part of the world, without any disease-testing.....also, Texas is notorious for feeding it's deer and exotic animal population, year around.....soooo, would someone please explain to me why their entire deer population hasn't been decimated from CWD or some other exotic disease???.....and btw, Texas has the largest deer and exotic population in the nation.....there's a deer specie or exotic animal for every 3 humans in Texas.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:29 am

I suspect lack of testing has a lot to do with it.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”