DS Brain trust question - building a house

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

DS Brain trust question - building a house

Postby teul2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:49 pm

So the wife is either in a midlife crisis or ready to move somewhere. I am not sure which. We've been internet shopping houses and have only looked at 2 because nothing is where we want it, how we want it. So we are mulling over the idea of building. And my question to you:

What should I expect to pay per square foot to build a house on slab?

Second question, what do you know about building a house in a metal building? Pros / Cons? I really like the idea of a huge metal building with the front 1/2 being house and the back being shop.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Re: DS Brain trust question - building a house

Postby eSJay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Barndominium is what you want my friend!
Price per SF will vary depending on several factors.
I’ve been contemplating going this route for about a year now. Even have my wife open to the idea, which was a win by itself!
Our problem is land prices where we live.

You should be able to get turn key for $85 SF, but likely better with good connections.

This would be right up your ally. I say do it!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Keep us updated with pictures. I’m bout ready to build again and would love to go this route.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:17 am

Disclosure- Mortgage Guy response here from seeing a lot of transactions.

I love the metal building idea. Less expensive, minimal maintenance, speed to completion, etc. However, if you are going to have obtain a mortgage on it be cautious and do your homework ahead of time. In the end it is a metal building in a world of "stick build". Banks are cautious to lend due to how hard it is to find "comparable" properties to gain a true value evaluation. Second thing is marketability, while your intention may be for this to be your "forever" home, lenders must consider worse case and the fact that you will sell it within 7 years (national average) which further complicates the lending decision.
With that being said, if you have a creative banker who can do a in-bank note without having to follow conventional mortgage guidelines, go for it.

No, on to price per sq foot to build. All depends on finishes, dirt work, whether or not you hire a GC or manage it yourself. I'm working on a couple in your area now where a builder is being used. I can share those numbers with you to give you some idea. Be glad to talk to you more about that offline.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:18 am

I've got multiple friends in Rankin County with the Metal building/Shop/House idea. They are pretty awesome. Now, depending on your woman, they may be a little hesitant. I'm pretty sure mine wouldn't, but they are pretty sweet in you can pull it off. And to back up what Matador said, the banking market hasn't completely warmed up to them, and neither has the insurance market. While it is getting a little easier to insure them, they can still be a booger bear to insure correctly.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:02 pm

3 words.....Spray Foam Insulation
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 am

My parents just got done building a bardominium and moved in last April. Its very nice. With building insulation and then spray foam insulation inside the framed up walls he has somewhere around 15" of insulation. Its so tight you can't even hear it pouring outside (which is kind of a downside in a metal building)

Both my parents love the house. And to be honest, it doesn't even seem like you're walking into a metal building after they moved everything in. Just seems like a home. They did 10 ft ceilings, hardwood tile, its a nice place.

Also rumor has it if you're looking for land and to build a "barn with living quarters" look to the Land Bank :wink:
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:09 am

Just buy the damn house across the pond from me so we can train dogs every afternoon with minimal effort or travel.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:26 pm

novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 pm

Make a little jog north and you’ll be right by Novacaine and myself. I need a shop built in my back yard, and y’all can live in the upstairs portion once it’s finished.
Josh Lantrip

Return to “General Discussion Forum”