Ground anchor for winch

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
meddawg
Regular

Ground anchor for winch

Postby meddawg » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Aftering burying my Ranger in the pasture and no trees in sight to hook the winch to earlier this year, I researched options for a winch anchor. After a few hours online scouring websites I finally settled on this:

http://www.bushwinch.com.au/accessories ... nd-anchor/

I found it on Amazon for $299 and it has been in the back of the Ranger since. Yesterday I found myself bottomed out a couple times in prairie gumbo while pulling a trailer with a deer stand on it. The bush anchor worked like a charm. The kit comes with two anchors. One was sufficient to winch my fullsize 900xps out of a couple of bad mudholes I found myself in. I even had it anchored in pasture gumbo. Company that makes it is from Australia. They also have some other winch products that are interesting. This thing was absolutely worth its weight in gold this weekend. If you are hunting or riding in treeless areas, I would highly recommend it.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Re: Ground anchor for winch

Postby mshunter77 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:03 pm

Yeah I could see that being very valuable in that situation.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:32 am

Simple idea that works. Thanks for posting.
Scott Baker
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 am

I wonder if a trailer anchor would work?
Peewee
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:41 pm

I rigged up a claw anchor like I saw a boat captian in the Keys do one time.
put it way out in front of you, winch your self out and a little past the anchor, then winch the anchor up. When you get behind the anchor, the tie straps break, and the anchor just pulls out.

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:01 pm

In my Jeep days carried a trenching shovel, hand saw, 2' of 2" pipe. Cut a gum tree sometimes for lever/fulcrum stuck in the rim to lift/pack under wheels. The shovel and pipe was for to anchor with winch cable; dig lil "T" ditch Not bulky and worked well in open power lines, etc no trees.... same principle...the drawing shows log/rope...I stuck pipe thru eye of cable at hook threw it in t ditch unless used choker and block to double pull. Never drove the stake. Did have couple of long eyed 1/2" cables/shackles stashed cuz winch cable was never long enough. Doesn't work on some hill/water situations. Good deal for ATV nowadays if you got basket for stashing. Good to have couple of snatch blocks/lil chokers to double pull/work angles and four cable clamps/wrench.
Attachments
IMG_2483.PNG
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:01 pm

A T post driven into the mud with a small sledgehammer works as well. Once unstuck, use winch to pull the T post back out of the ground.

I have personal experience with this emergency vehicle recovery technique.

It's a lot cheaper than $300.
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”