Suicide in teens

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Suicide in teens

Postby peewee » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:08 am

It ain't a fun topic but this is one where we as fathers need step and start speaking with our children. We have lost three in the central MS in the last month. Prayers sent for families and friends of these children.
Peewee
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Re: Suicide in teens

Postby NyssaAquatica » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:38 pm

Most recent was an 8th grader. Absolutely horrible.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:22 pm

I agree. Suicide in general is hard to understand. I have known too many people that have been impacted by suicide directly or indirectly.
Scott Baker
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:48 pm

I can't imagine the pain and some of the questions those parents have that will never be answered. Teen years are tougher than most want to admit. The need to feel accepted, not wanting to be bullied, or pressure from others to succeed or excel.

This may not apply here, but i don't know if it's gotten worse or it's just more widely known since we are in the instant Information Age, but social media as it pertains to bullying needs to be curbed. It's bad enough when it goes on at school, but at least used to a kid could get a break from it at home or with other friends at times. There are countless platforms to be used, i.e. Facebook, Snapchat, etc, that make it hard for a kid to outrun it any more.

My son is 20 months old and I don't want to know the challenges that lie ahead.... I don't know what would hurt me more, to find out he was the kid being bullied or he was the one doing it. I guess all I can do is pray and try to raise him right.. sorry for the long reply but this is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night. I will surely pray for those parents tonight.
work hard, play hard
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:26 am

I can’t even imagine how hard it is for someone to lose a child much less to suicide. I know I would probably drive myself crazy wondering where I went wrong and what I could have done better. Yes I agree social media can spread so far that it could really embarrass someone and ruin their lives. I have talked to my teenage daughter multiple times about not bullying people and even encouraged here to at least be courteous to those that are targets. Her being bullied has never been an issue and I don’t think she has ever really bullied anyone. Now my three year old is the one I am going to have to watch. She is already the alpha at day care, so much so that they skipped her an age group to hopefully help with it but it has not. She still runs the room full of 4 year olds. Went to pick her up one day and she was sitting in a chair with another kid fanning her with a book.
leadsthebest
Veteran

Postby leadsthebest » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:55 am

I just lost a good friend to suicide. It sucks beyond belief. I am more pissed than anything right now. I can not imagine what his kids, parents and family are going through. It's tough. My heart goes out to any family that has to deal with this.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:13 am

Peewee
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:56 am

Hell, I was a mean little $#!+ when I was growing up but back in the day

Not to make light of the discussion, but you are still a little $#!+.

However the suicide thing is bad, I have had my room mate back in the day when I lived in Hattiesburg kill himself, and my older brother found him hanging in our living room and my good friend I meet at State found his little brother in his driveway.. shot himself. I don't think there is a single one of us that hasn't felt the sting of this epidemic, but I don't know the answer, but I do know that the social media $#!+ has alot to do with it as well as the pussification of the society in general.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Peewee
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:34 pm

If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:01 am

I remember when you came back to the forum and posted you had been in a depressed state for about 6 months. My heart dropped b/c I remember how we lost a great member/friend of the forum. I think you have a good point about everything being so easily given to kids now days and how folks need to find their grit.

Last night my daughter stated after my wife and I were recalling old memories that she doesn’t have any cool memories like that. We did some stupid stuff, paid our stupid tax, learned from it and moved on.
Peewee
CAPT MIKE

Postby CAPT MIKE » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:28 pm

My plan has been to love them like crazy, teach them about the almighty, teach them to respect those in authority and show them consequences when they don't, watch them (daughter/son 7 and 9) like a hawk, stay involved, stay connected and keep them in church regularly surrounded by people who will pour encouragement and hope into them. And then bring them hunting and fishing of course.

If we could all follow commandment #1 ( Love your neighbor as you love yourself). We could beat this stuff. I will do my best to teach my kids to honor that.

I've lost a few childhood friends in this way (later on in life); but now it seems to be occurring a lot sooner. I can't imagine the added pressure of social media on teens. I plan to watch that closely and possibly eliminate it if need be. Seems like a tool that may be a bit too powerful for the very young. I'm not looking forward to it. I would love to hear of anyone's success in dealing with this.

As some of you already mentioned, I will join you in praying for those affected families. I'm extremely grieved to hear of this. I will also be praying for the rest of us parents and our children. I pray that no one would have to go through that.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this to everyone's attention.
farmboy
Regular

Postby farmboy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:54 pm

To the top.
Wyatt545

Postby Wyatt545 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Being a police officer i see this firsthand. It’s not only teens, but Young adults, seniors,... I have been an officer going on 19 years and have definitely seen a significant increase in attempts as well as successful suicides. What’s hard is dealing with the survivors trying to comprehend the pain of their loved ones under their noses. Lots of self blame and regrets.
Rice
Duck South Addict

Postby Rice » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:13 pm

There's a pretty solid correlation in the increase in suicide and the increase of being diagnosed with a learning disability. The truth is we take kids and feed them speed and keep them flooded with dopamine then they grow up and stop taking it and there is such a chemical imbalance it leads to major depression. But that would hurt phrama profits so that will never be called out.
A man who won't has no advantage over the man who can't.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”