Call suggestions for 7 year old

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Call suggestions for 7 year old

Postby DanP » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 pm

So my 7 year old son is eat up with it. Comes home from school and watches duck hunting videos on YouTube blowing a duck call. About to drive his momma crazy... Anyway, of the calls I have around the DR-85 seems to fit him this best, but it seems like he is still lacking the lung capacity to complete a series with it. Any recomendations for a call that may require less air or other general suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Trip
Duck South Addict

Re: Call suggestions for 7 year old

Postby Trip » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:25 am

My 6 year old has a yentzen and a quackhead double reed he likes messing with. He favors the yentzen more times than not though.
Josh Lantrip
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:32 am

The yentzen is a really good choice. But, I'd probably let him keep hacking away at the DR-85 if he is having trouble pushing it. That call doesn't take a lot of air to use. So if he can get better on that call, it will help him learn how to present more air for later on bigger calls.

Now GH22 is going to get on here and say he should learn on a single reed. Because it will automatically give him more to learn up front, and be easier to call (give him more ability) later. And there is merit to that. But I say learn on something easier now, and step up later.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:35 am

I would keep rocking the DR85. Its only killed like, 1 million ducks. Or Haydels makes (or made) a "French Mallard" single reed that takes almost no air (but has corresponding low volume).
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:32 pm

I would get him something he can use a long time that is easy to blow and he can get better and better with. An RNT short barrel

Return to “General Discussion Forum”