ASK DS, Dirt Work

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
ScottBrown
Veteran

ASK DS, Dirt Work

Postby ScottBrown » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:47 am

Alright brain trust, I am trying to get a plan together and wanted some expert advice. I am getting trees cut in my yard as we speak. They should be done early next week so I am planning on getting the dirt work done next weekend. I live on a pretty good hill so I have some concern about doing the dirt work before the wet season. You think I should wait until next summer to get the dirt work done or do it now and throw out some rye grass?
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Re: ASK DS, Dirt Work

Postby novacaine » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:39 pm

It depends on what you are trying to do. Are you getting it prepped to build a house on it?
I see you are in Vicksburg............all that soil is a Loess silt.
It's great for holding up loads and it will stand up verticle but when it gets wet it acts like a sand and will pipe water through it.
So, your dirt may not be there after the winter when you are ready to build.
Just a thought since this is free advice, you know what its worth. :D
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:42 pm

Pretty good hill? Vicksburg? Yeah, I'd wait til I was sure I could get grass to grow. Even then, you stand to lose a lot of that dirt.
ScottBrown
Veteran

Postby ScottBrown » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Free advice is better than paying for $#!+ advice. It is not a house pad, but it is my yard. I am ready to get this project done and done so I am leaning towards finishing the dirt work now.

Anybody ever use one of the rental sod cutting machines?
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:08 am

Scott ryegrass can germinate in 4 days under good conditions. Can you reach the area with a water hose to spray the seed. If so that's what I'd do. If we get a big rain it will wash the seed away. Make sure you use annual ryegrass. It has an extensive root system. We used it on military installations all over the place when I was at ERDC for similar reasons of what your describing. We needed a fast cover crop and it did the job.

It's gonna grow till May. Therefore you'll have to mow it. Then you can establish the grass you want. It may be best to spray it and kill it before replanting you grass.
Peewee

Return to “General Discussion Forum”