Arrowheads hunters beware of where you hunt

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Arrowheads hunters beware of where you hunt

Postby peewee » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:29 am

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndms/pr/mi ... e-american

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, October 23, 2017
Mississippi Residents Convicted for Illegally Searching and Removing Native American Artifacts

OXFORD, Robert H. Norman, Acting United States Attorney for the Northern District of Mississippi, together with Luis Santiago, Special Agent in Charge of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, and William “Wynne” Fuller, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Chief of Operations for the Mobile District, announces:

Matthew Glen Arnold, 33, of Booneville, Mississippi, Jackie Dale Arnold, 59, of Burnsville, Mississippi, Sandra Arnold, 62, of Burnsville, Mississippi, Tyler Wilemon, 22, of Booneville, Mississippi, Melinda Jean Arnold, 42, of Burnsville, Mississippi, and Robert Alan Aguirre, 29, of Corinth, Mississippi, were recently sentenced in the United States District Court for their roles in illegally searching for and removing Native American artifacts from government land. Matthew Arnold was sentenced on September 29, 2017, by United States District Judge Debra M. Brown of Greenville following a previous guilty plea to six felony counts of excavating and removing archeological resources located on designated historic public lands in violation of the Archeological Resources Protection Act. The investigation and subsequent charges arose out of the removal of Native American artifacts from United States Army Corps of Engineers property along the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway in Tishomingo County, Mississippi. Matthew Arnold was sentenced to a term of imprisonment of twenty (20) months for each count of conviction, to be served concurrently, followed by one (1) year of supervised release. He was also ordered to pay $41,551.49 in restitution to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for damage to the subject property.

Jackie Arnold and Melinda Arnold were sentenced on October 13, 2017, Tyler Wilemon was sentenced on September 28, 2017, and Sandra Arnold was sentenced on September 7, 2017, by Judge Brown following a previous guilty plea by each to one felony count of excavating and removing archeological resources located on designated historic public lands in violation of the Archeological Resources Protection Act. Jackie Arnold was sentenced to a term of imprisonment of fifteen (15) months and ordered to pay $24,357.77 in restitution. Sandra Arnold was sentenced to a term of imprisonment of twelve (12) months and one (1) day ordered to pay $18,626.53 in restitution. Wilemon was sentenced to a term of imprisonment of five (5) months and ordered to pay $7,164.05 in restitution. Each were sentenced to one (1) year of supervised release following their term of incarceration. Melinda Arnold was sentenced to five (5) years probation and ordered to pay $28,656.20 in restitution. All of the restitution set forth above has been joint and several, meaning each defendant has been ordered to pay in conjunction with the other defendants, up to the amount set for each defendant.

Aguirre was sentenced on October 19, 2017, by United States District Judge Glen H. Davidson of Aberdeen following a previous guilty plea to two felony counts of excavating and removing archeological resources located on designated historic public lands in violation of the Archeological Resources Protection Act. Aguirre was sentenced to two years probation and ordered to pay $2,865.62 in restitution.

Two other defendants have plead guilty to similar charges and are currently awaiting sentencing.

United States Fish and Wildlife Service Special Agent in Charge Santiago stated “We are committed to working with Mississippi, its citizens, the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nation and other federal and state agencies to conserve and protect Mississippi's archeological resources which are a non-renewable cultural resource of irreplaceable value, as well as sacred to descendant communities and Native Americans."

"The US Army‎ Corps of Engineers is thoroughly committed to the preservation and protection of these irreplaceable cultural treasures, treasures that hold great meaning to Native Americans and belong to the American People. We will continue to invest the necessary resources to investigate and support the prosecution of such cases in the future,” said Fuller, Chief of Operations for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Mobile District.

This case was investigated by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement, and the United States Army Corps of Engineers.
Peewee
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Re: Arrowheads hunters beware of where you hunt

Postby GET-N-RITE » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:58 am

Lawddddddddd what did they do dig up a bunch of graves?
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:34 pm

Yes? What is the definition of “excavating” when used in this case?

Digging up Indian mounds with machinery? Or did they think they saw something in the dirt and kicked around a little bit with their heel to see what it was?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Not saying they were right etc but my lord how can this happen to people like that yet Hillary Clinton gets a pass for much worse. Shows you can't have much faith in true justice by our legal system.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:46 pm

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news ... 790838001/

There's pictures on there of the size of the holes
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:24 am

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:42 am

There is a black and white vertical ruler in some of those pictures. Does anyone know what that scale is?

Yeah, that last photo the hole did look rather large or else eroded it since it was on the side of a hill?

I wouldn’t want someone getting away with that anymore than I would want them getting away with digging up bullets or cannon balls out of Vicksburg battlefield park.

Now if you happen to be walking on the Corps of Engineers property and saw a point sticking up out of the ground there should not be a penalty for picking up something off the ground like that.

And I guess at that point it becomes a gray area. A case of he said she said and then over here you have favoritism..... and Ed knew someone in the agency.....

Off with their heads?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:12 am

Exposed heads on Corps land -- not gray at all. Don't touch it!
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:42 pm

It appears the youngest was 29 so they knew better than to bring buckets and shovels.

Not tourist beachcombers.

Pretty stiff sentence though.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:13 pm

By letter of the law you aren't supposed to take out a shed antler found on a National Wildlife Refuse as it is an "artifact". I know its crazy but true. Also you cant use a cast net to catch bait off a control structure in the middle of summer in a mud hole when you run out of trotline bait either.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:15 pm

This was way more than the average guy walking a field to find a point.

Many of these folks in these cases are meth heads and are digging mounds on Federal land to sell the artifacts.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:43 am

Coworker of mine is an archeologist I have hadn't got a chance to get the scoop from him. Fines seem excessive but if I'd I had to guess they are that high to cover a phase 3 investigation to cover mitigation which can be expensive.

With that being said I find it truly ironic how the DOJ picks and chooses whom they go after. I personally worked on a case that would make this look like child's play with a certain parish completely removing 2 burial mounds. It was all but kept out of the local media and DOJ wouldn't touch it. Wind up costing USFWS over 2.5M. If it would have been us common folks we would have been in prison for years to come.
Peewee
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:52 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”