Seed and fertilizer spreader, ATV or 3pt

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Seed and fertilizer spreader, ATV or 3pt

Postby stang67 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:10 pm

What do you like? We've used a Moultrie 12v ATV model forever but we find ourselves planting more acreage these days. When the motor wears out or bearings freeze up and can't be repaired again, we replace it. We use enough seed and fertilizer to justify a 3pt, PTO model, but it would definitely be overkill for some spots. Will we miss the smaller ATV spreader? Am I gonna find the 3pt model rusting out as fast as the Moultries need replacing?

I'm to a point that I would be willing to pay more for a nicer ATV model if it lasts longer.
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Re: Seed and fertilizer spreader, ATV or 3pt

Postby dukluk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Thru the years, I've used every kind of seeder known to man.....finally, I bought a pull-behind, wheel-driven like the King Cutter, but different manufacturer.....bought it used from a seed dealer for $500 about ten years ago.....holds about 600 lbs......I've planted as much as 25 acre fields with it, and 1/2 acre plots, as well....plants to the left, right, or center.....no motors, batteries, bearings, or wires to bother with.....can't even remember the brand name, but it's black and built, very nearly like the King Cutter.....best buy I ever made.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/King-Kut ... lsrc=aw.ds

Googled and finally found it.....mine is a TuffLine.....but, there's several mfrs. out there.....Northern Tool even carries them.

http://www.generalimp.com/sites/default ... 201-17.pdf
bigdecoy
Regular

Postby bigdecoy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:01 pm

I have owed and used a Herd ATV12V seeder for 20 yrs and my duck hunting partner has for 30. I have tried others but they do not compare with a Herd. They do cost more than most, put out a good pattern, and well built. They make all sizes including 3pt hitch mods. If you decide on a Herd 12v mod be sure to order it with a rheostat.Herds are now made by Kasco MFG CO. If you want to ck mine out give me a call.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:34 am

Key to lifetime on these is to wash them quickly and thoroughly after spreading fertilizer then apply a light coat of oil or WD40. Fertilizer will eat metal parts like I eat bacon.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:14 am

X2 on the Heard and clean up after putting fertilizer out.
Scott Baker
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:34 am

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
leadsthebest
Veteran

Postby leadsthebest » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:42 am

https://monroetufline.com/shop/sportsman/sf500-series/

I am a little bias, because I work there. I have used several different spreaders, and this one is the best to me so far. It has a wider wheel base and larger tires and is wheel driven. No wires, battery, or motor.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the pull behind models are mostly out of the question, due to the tight spots and irregularly shaped plots we use.

I had researched the Herds some. The ATV model only shows to have a 77-lb capacity which is a little low. Their 3pt models may be out of my price range.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:55 am

I have my eye on a swisher. 300 lb capacity and attaches to receiver hitch.

Those herds are simple though. Old man in a camp I helped with said his was as old as me!
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
bigdecoy
Regular

Postby bigdecoy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Herd also sales an UTV 12V seeder with a cap. of 192 lbs. Model 1-92
duckbuster330
Veteran

Postby duckbuster330 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:03 am

we have a 3 pt spreader and 2 of the atv spreaders. The 3 pt spreader is probably going on 12+ years old and we never had a problem with it. We do wash it out and pour some diesel or burnt motor oil in it when done planting and turn on the PTO for a few seconds. One of the ATV spreaders i have is close to 7 years old and i do the same with it except i use pb blaster or Kroil on it after cleaning.

I use the atv spreader in the small narrow spots and the 3pt on the bigger plots.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
- Mark Twain
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 am

I've got a 2" receiver model (fimco atv12v with rheostat) and a pull type (agrifab 175lb cap). I haven't used the fimco since I got the pull type, but I drag before planting so "too rough" isn't an issue.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Hooded Merganzer
Veteran

Postby Hooded Merganzer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:38 pm

leadsthebest
Veteran

Postby leadsthebest » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:53 pm

They list for around $1,700 for all metal to $1,950 for stainless, but a dealer would probably do better than that.

If interested send me a PM and I can get you in touch with a dealer, and give you his price.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Return to “General Discussion Forum”