Had a helper on the duck blind construction

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Had a helper on the duck blind construction

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:24 am

I was standing on a ladder yesterday screwing floor joist in for a duck blind I'm working on when I noticed a little movement out of the corner my eye near the far corner of the blind 12 feet away from me.

No gun in my pocket. My only weapon nearby was a pole saw and I know from personal experience that a pole saw has a tendency to grab a snake and throw it back at you.

That one might need to be another story for another time. And that stupid move also reminds me of another snake story where a (still very much alive) Cottonmouth came within inches of dropping in my driver side truck window right in my lap.

OK so back to this story. So I'm standing on the ladder with impact driver in hand and a few screws in my teeth when I spot this gigantic rattlesnake coming out of the grass headed right towards me. Actually I think it was heading right towards a pile of 2 x 4's in scraps under the middle of the blind?

I have to walk out on a path to about 6 feet in front of where the snake is headed to be able to get out and to get to my gin. Luckily there were some 12 foot 2 x 4's within easy reach and I was able to redirect the path the snake was taking.

Once I realized I wasn't going to die immediately upon making eye contact with the snake, it was really rather eventless encounter. I only heard it rattle for one split second while persuading it to take another path. But it was gone when I got back with the gun, couldn't find it because of the thick brush pile it went into.

About a 5 foot long Canebrake. I'm sorry the photo was a little blurry, I was a little nervous at the time of taking the photograph.

IMG_7031.JPG
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Had a helper on the duck blind construction

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Does anyone else have any snake stories they want to share?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:20 am

Timber rattlers really are easy going for the most part. People kill them all the time simply because they can.

Watersnakes on the other hand. They'd just as soon bite you as look at you.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:25 am

2 yrs ago mid June. Went to draw down our duck hole.

I was in waders waste deep when I felt something hit my leg. All I had was a walking stick and figured it a branch so I used it to move the "branch".

The branch was a ball of water moccasin.

I literally prayed like no other day in my life.

The wind stopped and it was as though I was platonic or something. I will never forget that. Snakes were exiting any direction they could. I don't know how many where balled up but I stopped counting at 17.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:32 am

Call in an air strike
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:10 am

Yikes. Only one solution for that.
Attachments
IMG_7112.JPG
IMG_7112.JPG (20.37 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 am

missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:17 am

Just to keep the thread going (and being I dropped my phone when I saw the pic of your helper).You know I could have gone a long time without see a pic of a snake! Gin! I like your style.

Last fall, August. Me and the little girl went on a hike. It was a 'scouting/exploratory' hike. I was showing her different acorns on the ground, identifying past rubs, showing her tracks, just walking the woods! We make it a few miles from the truck and happened upon a blacktop road. Being I was tired from the strenuous terrain, I elected to take the easy path back.

We make our way down the road when she gets the idea we need to race. Being I wasn't going to kill her fun, we made a game of running back. Being I'm fat, out of shape, and was about to die, she had me by a yard or two. She was obviously winning. She had a good 20 yards on me when she went around the curve. Being the curve marked the 'high' in the road, I figured if I could get there I'd take a break.

Well, I made it to the hill. I was standing there with my hands over my head trying to regain a breathe when I took the step toward the edge of the road. In all honesty, I was just going to make a small circle. You know, keep moving but slow down for a second. I didn't get much of a break, for the step startled the timber rattler and his/her friend. One rattler warning you will get the blood pumping, two will bring on a heart rate that you can't imagine. Especially when they aren't but 6 feet from you. I didn't need a break after that!

on a side note: IF they wouldn't have rattled, we'd of never seen them. Their camouflage was unremarkable. the little girl got to learn a few things on that trip!
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Ran across this disaster building a duck blind.
Attachments
IMG_0095.JPG
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:47 pm

jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:56 am

Snake stories? Yeah, I got a couple.

Please allow me to preface this one by saying that I am convinced that when God was putting all the critters on the earth, He placed the bag with the snakes down in what is now Ouachita Parish, Louisiana. AND, that bag had a hole in the bottom.

Back in high school, my dad had a surveying project outside of Bastrop, Louisiana, and my best friend worked with us one summer. One day we were surveying through the woods, carrying a transit (large rifle scope mounted with a bunch of sun dial sized compasses on a tripod), range poles, wooden stakes, hammers, wire flags, and a bunch of other work related crap. We came across this old fallen log, and each of us stepped over it without even thinking. The crew chief stepped over it. Then I stepped over it. Then, just as my friend was about to step over it, I happened to look back and see it. The biggest cotton mouth I had ever seen was less than a foot from my friend, who had just stepped over the same log we had all crossed. To my high school eyes, this snake looked to be almost 4 feet long.

Apparently, to my friend, it looked to be much bigger, because he jumped straight up 5 feet, over another 5, and hit the ground running toward us to get away from that thing. When I told him how amazed I was that he didn't drop any of his gear, he said that he was afraid we'd make him go back and get anything he dropped. And there was no way he was going back that direction again....Ever! :lol: :lol:

And for the record, yes. If you drop it, you go get it.
Nobody owes you anything.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”