Did I miss all the dove hunting discussion?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Did I miss all the dove hunting discussion?

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:58 am

I guess no one Dove hunted this weekend? Can't remember a single Labor Day weekend coming and going and not a peep from anyone here?

Well, I hunted all three days and had quite a good time.

Saturday, was a fabulous shoot! It was a little crowded so me and a couple buddies elected to hang out under a shade tree until some of the shooters got wrapped up so we could jump in their spot. About 10 minutes till 3pm my peg became available. About 15 minutes later that same peg was available again for another shooter. I briefly sat on my dove stool only twice.

To me, my slowest hunt was actually the most fun. Myself and three buddies and one buddies son all ganged up under a tree listening to loud live music and occasionally shooting at dove the from a firing squad formation. This was on Sunday and I would not trade those memories in for anything. To quote my buddy hambone "that was the most fun he's ever had shooting 1/3 of a limit of dove!!"

And yesterday, just a handful of us made it out into the field where we shot Saturday and although it was slower everyone got double digits or greater and had a great time doing it.

Surely someone else out here had as much fun of the weekend as I did?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Re: Did I miss all the dove hunting discussion?

Postby DoublePslayer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:18 am

Sounds like a good time for sure. I personally haven't been on an opening weekend hunt in years. I "plant" my food plot the first week or so of September, and usually get a few before the first season closes. As bad a shot as i am on them, i really don't miss it that much. Now if any of you fine fellows were to offer a hunt up, i would be glad to put on an exhibition on how to miss a dove every way imaginable. :mrgreen:
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Opening morning was slow for us.
Not sure if it was due to the thick thick fog or what.
The afternoon hunt was at a different field with much different results. One of the best shoots I've ever been on period! Even killed a couple of those city slicker ring necks.
Got to see my buddy's son kill his first "flying" dove with his brand new stacked barrell which was priceless.
Didn't go Sun morning, but did that afternoon & obviously we shot the field out Saturday.
I always threaten to go after opening weekend, but rarely ever do. Maybe this will be the year!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:09 am

I took my family to the MSU game. I don't get a lot of time this time of year anymore due to kids sports. Basically every weekend from mid-August to mid November is about booked up with a meet or tournament.
Peewee
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:52 am

Spent the weekend at the lake myself. Had birds and they pushed out a week prior to storm? No idea what that was about.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:06 pm

^^^^^^
Had a ton of birds until last Wednesday or thursday, they all just left overnight, Planning a hunt this Saturday, but still have no birds as of yesterday, but maybe when i get home today after that cold front pushed through last night I will have some birds. I hope they show up as fast as they left!!
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Well well well! I am convinced that today was the most fun Dovehunt I have ever been on.

Four of us set up in the shade together just like we were sitting in a duck blind. I put seven decoys over the powerline I front of us and we had two twirled birds on the ground and shot decoying dove together all the while listening to live music and having a good ol’ time!!

Four of us got 55.

I have definitely found my new calling in life. Group dove hunting taken to new heights!!

5259FCBE-49F4-4928-8B97-04AD19F3866F.jpeg

Today’s set list included most of the Jerry Garcia show from Keene college 1980.

Followed by The nitty-gritty dirt band 50 year reunion in Nashville.

And closed it out with some Stevie Ray Vaughan and double trouble.

The dove really seem to respond well when the Tennessee stud song came on Midway through the concert!!
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Andy,

I have what I feel is an obvious question about your hunt.. can you guess it ??
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:53 am

Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:25 am

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:19 am

I liked the Jerry show the best.

Need to figure out how to get a dozen dove decoys way up in the dead treetops without getting them tangled up.

I just passed by a telephone wire near Silver city and noticed the live dove were in a similar formation. There was definitely some strategy to my decoy placement.

That gap between the cluster of three and one decoy will from now on be referred to as the “J-hook” style. Got to leave them a hole to land in. It definitely pulled them in from across the field.

Haha
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:38 am

Natural live dove formation. Notice the “J-hook” gap they leave for their buddies.
B7FA194E-C234-426B-B749-897842FEF38D.jpeg
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:41 am

Now how in the world that photo get inverted 90°?

If you click the photo it’ll pull up the actual photo in its normal correct position.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Glad to see someone killing some birds!

Percentage wise, I'm shooting 75%. Got a triple on an early hunt, and missed a wide flyer. Pulled the trigger a total of 4 times this year!
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:25 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”