Yard weed ID

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Yard weed ID

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:29 pm

I was wondering if anyone here knows what this plant is? Does anyone have any recommendations on what to spot treat it in Bermuda with?

I guess MSMA would work but am not sure.
Attachments
IMG_6543.JPG
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
stang67
Duck South Addict

Re: Yard weed ID

Postby stang67 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 pm

+1. I'm getting this stuff bad. It behaves a lot like Virginia buttonweed, growing really low and in a thick mat.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:27 pm

looks like dallisgrass or the like. is it all growing in the same clump like crabgrass does or individual shoots like nutsedge?
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:30 pm

The stuff I'm talking about is nothing like dallisgrass. It grows very low, almost like a turf, but with coarse wet blades. Weedating it hurts. Doesn't seem to start in a discreet clump like crabgrass. Hard to tell for sure, but it looks a lot like that photo, to me. Lighter green color and shiny.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:44 pm

see if it is one on this page (goosegrass, nimblewill or quack grass) . go to the id tool and then grassy.

http://www.msuturfweeds.net/#idtoolgrass

I think what I have is goosegrass in the back yard...sprayed image, for nutsedge, recently and it didn't phase these clumps. pulls, roots and all, easily.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:51 pm

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:03 pm

I don't think it's any of those three grasses you listed on the MSU link. I just did a Google search for dove weed and immediately found this:

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... mSt_sopc3M:

this is it.

Yard guy said 2,4-D didn't do anything where they've tested it. They are currently using Atrazine in test spots.
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:47 pm

I see the st. augustine resemblance, now that you mention it.
msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:02 am

I've got a pretty good patch of that in a low area on the side of my house. Have always wondered what it was. Please keep us updated on their test results for treatment.
SHERMANATOR
bigdecoy
Regular

Postby bigdecoy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:20 am

It is Doveweed Mudannnia nudiflora
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:25 am

Yep, that's it -- doveweed. Have previously only seen it in the wettest spots. It's finding lots of those type locations this summer.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:36 am

I guess it's like an invasive species? The yard guy said it's a tropical plant and that's why it makes it difficult to catch with pre-emerge yard treatment here because it germinates when the ground is much warmer which occurs later in the season.

Wet conditions are ideal for the plant which is probably why were seeing more of it this year. That link I posted said too frequent mowing, and mowing too low also helps propagate it because it will remain short and will grow horizontally remaining safe from the mower blades.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”