Limbsaver Grind to fit?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Limbsaver Grind to fit?

Postby missed mallards » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:02 pm

Anyone tackled the task of fitting a grind to fit pad on a shotgun? Honestly wondering what I'm getting into, other than youtube, getting some input here.

I'm leaning that way purely for the aesthetics. Any other benefit to it versus a slip on?
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Limbsaver Grind to fit?

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:11 pm

For me I was not as concerned about what the finished product look like on my duckhunting shotgun.

A hand grinder with fine grit flap and/or belt sander will make short order of the fitment procedure. But depending on your patience and skill level etc. it may look like a hack job.

I did mine with pad on stock without scratching the stock up too bad.

A professional shot gun fitter is going to have a really large width belt sander bolted to a table. But it can be done by hand.

limbsaver is the better product. I will try and post a picture of my handiwork sometime soon.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:50 pm

the slip-on has a tendency to move around with a lot of successive shots, especially in wet weather.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:59 pm

I've got a Pachmayr and a Miles Gilbert jig that I bought a couple years ago to fit to a rifle. Proper fit and proper continuation of the line on the bottom of the butt is important to me.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:32 pm

Miles Gilbert jig?

I should have googled a little harder when I hacked mine up with my angle grinder. I had no idea a jig was available.

Haha
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:18 am

Well, this one happens to be a kick eze. I think I remember not finding a limbsaver that matched the thickness of my original pad on this gun.

The limbsaver absorbed recoil better than what I've got in on now, but was too thick and affected my accuracy.
Attachments
IMG_6571.JPG
IMG_6570.JPG
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:38 am

Haha. My uncle-in-law cut down an Xtrema stock and mounted a new pad. It looks wayyyy worse.

The jig and a bench top belt/disc grinder seem to be a good way to do it. Check out YouTube.

The jig helps you continue the slope/angle of the bottom of the butt stock.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:46 am

My jack job looks right at home on this gun. I call it "the intimidator". No one has ever given me grief about it.

Hahaha
Attachments
IMG_6577.JPG

Return to “General Discussion Forum”