Ask DS - Backpack

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Ask DS - Backpack

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:06 pm

I am in the market for a new carry bag. Between office, kid, etc. I am always carrying a bunch of stuff. I have decided to go with a backpack design due to its ease of use in travel. What are the recommendations from this board?

If I could make my own, it would have the following:

- 40 liter capacity
- A removable waistbelt
- Front loading
- Internal supports
- Adjustable straps for shoulders, chest, and compression
- a warranty
- Hydration capable
- a hybrid (can go from messenger bag to suitcase to backpack sort of thing)

Do they even make such an animal? If so, where would you get it? What do you use and why? And finally, what other qualities do you want in an EDC bag?

I'm looking for advise, so please provide your best input. Thanks.
Nobody owes you anything.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS - Backpack

Postby Seymore » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Our daughter has Scoliosis and must use a rolling back pack to carry her books. We researched one that wouldn't tear up and decided on a Jansport Driver 8. My wife and I both had Jansport in college. My wife actually had two so she could haul her nursing books. We never had a failure in any of the 3 in 4.5 years for her and 6 for me with bank school included. Don't know if they are made the same as they were then and if the one we bought her will last but they were bullet proof back then.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Re: Ask DS - Backpack

Postby DoublePslayer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:03 am

Before you settle on a backpack, give this a look. I used one when i was at the airlines to haul my personal stuff in that didn't go in suitcase. Computer, headsets, glasses, etc. This thing was bullet proof. Material has Kevlar woven into it to add durability, and it has a shoulder strap that you could sling like a backpack if you want. This thing took the worst that the baggage handlers and TSA could give it and laughed at them on the way out the door.

http://www.luggageworks.com/browse-products/computer-sleeve-3/stealth-flight-cube.html
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman

Return to “General Discussion Forum”