They Need Us In Houston

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
booger
Veteran

They Need Us In Houston

Postby booger » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:40 pm

They were calling for anyone with a boat to lend a hand. I was watching the news, with a reporter at one "boat ramp", which was just a low spot on the interstate. Several good ole boys just showing up, slinging it off the trailer and going, wearing t-shirts and life jackets. The official swift water rescue guys and the other gubment rescue teams had more crap on than I could believe, helmets with some kind of rain flaps, big jackets, rigging all over them. Several even had Go-Pro's on the top of their helmets (i thought they were lights). That's a lot of hot heavy gear.

Anybody watch ole boy sling the air boat off. Backed way in, not enough to float it, backed some more, helpers monkeying around trying to help, he got everyone out of the way, pulled the truck way up the "ramp", floored it backwards and then jammed the brakes, it came off then. :mrgreen: Anyone on Ducksouth could tell what he was trying to do, but the average "joe" was getting in the way of the process.

What a frigging mess, never been to Houston, must be flat as a a pancake. Floods all the time.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Re: They Need Us In Houston

Postby stang67 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:49 pm

I'm sure quite a few of the Cajun Navy are heading west as we speak. They got plenty of practice a year ago.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:46 am

Looks like the Cajun navy is there in full force. Seeing lots of reports of them doing good.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:54 am

My younger sister flooded yesterday afternoon. She evacuated to my older sisters house last night. Water got into my older sisters garage last night but not the house. Water has receded a few feet off her porch. It's still raining and isn't expected to move out till Thursday.
Peewee
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:20 am

novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:52 am

I know a few guys at Harris County Flood Control and Fort Bend Levee District..........they fight it all the time.
You think we have channels, sloughs, lakes, streams and rivers here in Ms Delta..............look at their web site.
over 2500 miles of streams.... and now USACE are popping off a flood control reservoir before it get beyond catastrophic.
They have a mess on their hands.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:53 pm

The square footage of concrete has skyrocketed in the past 20 yrs.or so. Runoff happens even faster.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:30 am

Our very own Chevy0123 is out there helping with a few other boats.

I have been listening to the rescue radios and there is LOTS of traffic for rescues. The Cajun Navy is pretty well organized to be what it is. Rescue websites, location specific radio channels. There are people out doing the rescues, and those that are home on internet giving out driving directions for road closures / police check stations to rescuers, people updating flooding maps, people putting in rescue requests into the websites. It is nothing short of amazing.
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:43 am

To look over some of the rescue info, look at http://houstonharveyrescue.com/
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:56 am

Wow................interactive AND proactive.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:47 pm

CBS evening news said 51,000 fema claims already filed. Its estimated 100,000 homes were flooded and that on 15% of homes had flood insurance. So sad
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:04 am

My younger sister got flooded. I told them they couldn't wait on FEMA as mold would destroy the house. Her fiancé and her started working on it Thursday am. That afternoon about 30 folks from a local Latter Day Saints church (Mormon) showed up and helped rip our every thing they needed in about an hour. It was truly a blessing.
Peewee
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:43 am

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Return to “General Discussion Forum”