5.3 PO171 engine code (lean) bank 1&2

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

5.3 PO171 engine code (lean) bank 1&2

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:53 am

Does anyone here know how fuel injectors and the computer that controls them works?

Does the computer that controls the fuel injectors make its calculations based on full operating fuel pressure? Or does the computer make calculations based on the fuel pressure reading at a continuous point in time?

Can a weak fuel pump cause a lean error code? I'm assuming the answer is yes but don't know.

I am getting the lean engine code I think the number is 171, intermittently. Check engine light will come on for a few days then it will go off for a few days. I've got an inexpensive code reader and it's the same code every time.

When the engine code decides to come on, my engone idle becomes rough. It's never stalled out and never gets to the point where I think it's going to stall out, it just idles rough. I also get hesitation and sluggish acceleration. Highway operation seems normal. And fuel economy actually seems a little better lately.

Previously, I was getting misfire cylinder one and systematically changed everything on cylinder one.

I'm sure I could benefit by having the throttle body physically cleaned, but I don't know that a dirty throttlebody would cause intermittent rough idle?

I know it's not duckhunting related, but does anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't see any point in me joining a Chevrolet or GMC truck forum since someone here probably knows about this?

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
donia
Duck South Addict

Re: 5.3 PO171 engine code (lean) bank 1&2

Postby donia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:10 am

Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:20 am

There is a video on seafoam website that shows you how to use their throttlebody cleaning product. But I think they want you to go snake a tube through the air breather at the air filter location?

If the throttle body is not sealing off correctly I suppose it could be allowing more oxygen to enter the system which would cause a lean reading? Is that even possible?

A helper would be mandatory since there's no throttle cable anymore!
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:08 am

http://seafoamsales.com/wp-content/uplo ... Intake.pdf

ahhh, the bended tube/guide is so you can put the intake hose back on... so the truck will run while you spray the seafoam into the throttle body (still need a helper or a brick to keep throttle at 1000rpm above idle while spraying). loosen the clamp on the hose where it attaches to the throttle body and remove it to put the tube guide on then replace the hose, not between the mass air flow sensor and throttle body (don't spray any through the mass air flow sensor from the filter box side).
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:34 am

I got the exact same code on my '05 Escape V6. I ran some higher grade gas through it once, and that helped. Then I ran some Chevron gas in it, and that seemed to clean it up. It was either that or get a new Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. Changing that out is very straight forward, but so is the price. Running higher quality fuel for a tank or two is a LOT less expensive.
Nobody owes you anything.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:34 am

might be too late but I did that seafoam throttle bottle clean out thing once on an 05 Chevy and the truck smoked ever since. We're talking an 80k mile truck. Its like it burned the rings or some seals up. Never again for me.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:54 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”