Eclipse viewing.....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Eclipse viewing.....

Postby Denduke » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:06 pm

Run this by everybody....
Got a #5 burning lens coupled with a #10 welding lens makes 15....add the 1.75 cheaters in da hood .... Wala!
Some are going thru lil hole in a box onto a surface or
Take mirror and reflect it onto a surface.
DONT look directly at it....
People are putting bras over cows and horses eyes....

Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: Eclipse viewing.....

Postby Smoke68 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:16 pm

I'm in Nashville. It's crowded up here. Tomorrow is going to be a cluster.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 am

I'm in Grandview TN and the weather is absolutely glorious.

Low humidity and crystal clear right now!! Vacation from the heat for sure.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:08 am

a part of me is hoping for overcast/rain.....
ufgators68
Veteran

Postby ufgators68 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:45 am

southdeltan
Veteran

Postby southdeltan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:14 pm

As a science teacher I was totally hoping for a cloud out. It happens somewhere almost every other year. It's not that big an effin deal. There are countless videos and images of this. Unless you're under 100% totality, big deal. I wish I owned stock in an eclipse glasses company.

Due to liability issues, as well as knowing that kids today do not listen 1/10 as well as they did 20 years ago, I set up several live feeds, maps, and videos in our public school's auditorium. I made a pinhole viewer that was set up outside the door of the auditorium and students were instructed to look down at the shadow (and told it should be a complete circle of sunlight, not just a crescent). At least every 7 or 8th kid tried to look up (even though from where they were standing they wouldn't have been able to see the sun. No way I would have taken them outside even with the strongest verified and approved protection. More than a few would have taken it off. Yesterday I looked through a level 10 welders shield and my eye (I just used one) is still bothering me. I'm just glad I'm not getting sued.

There's an open house at my school tonight but I told my principal I was so disgusted I was going home and wallowing in my misery. And part of an acre of corn. Well I didn't tell her about the corn.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:47 pm

Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:50 pm

My two oldest girls had as much fun watching the "nerd fest" on the The Weather Channel and NASA TV. They stated some of these people hooping and hollering have no life. One guy was hyperventilating about how it was the best thing to have ever happened to them in their life. My oldest said she'd bet the farm he'd never been on a date. :lol: :lol: We had the glasses, went outside at the maximum coverage for our area, watched for a minute, then gave it up.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 am

I think they had about 20,00 show up at Sanford stadium today to watch it, as the 10,000 glasses they were handing out went quickly. No adult beverages in the stadium, so I grabbed glasses and watched the eclipse on the quad with my dog and a cold one.

Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:51 am

The total eclipse was pretty cool. We had some hoopin and hollerin around us too. I plan to travel again in 7 years to go see it in Arkansas. My plan is to rent/borrow a camper, find a nice pasture and ask the owner's permission, cook some burgers and enjoy the peace and quiet.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:45 am

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Grandview TN.

Attachments
eclipse 2017 -1.jpg
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Nice video. What did you use to film it?
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:53 pm

I used a regular canon rebel with a variable zoom lens on a tripod.

I placed an oversized camera lens solar filter like this one over the zoom lens so I could remove it without much troubles.

Just like this but a different brand and a size or two larger than my actual lens diameter so I could remove/replace when needed without loosing the scene in the frame.

The still photo above it's just a frame by frame screen capture.

Edit: I just went back and listened to the video and realized you can really hear the crickets and tree frog. We ( I was for sure) were so spell bound at the time that I didn't notice them or the plane that cast the shadow just after the diamond ring popped out.
Attachments
IMG_6497.JPG

Return to “General Discussion Forum”