New house countertops

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Dixie Dog
Regular

New house countertops

Postby Dixie Dog » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:39 am

I'm building a new house for the first time and my wife and I are at a lost about countertops. I'm cheap and thinking formica but I doubt the wife is going to go with that. What are your suggestions on what kind of tops to go with. Any recommendations on people in north MS? Thank you in advance.
Just another small town duck hunter
curlytail
Veteran

Re: New house countertops

Postby curlytail » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:35 am

You sound just like someone else I know! Ask Caddie Shack and see what he says. I know he will have researched the topic. When we remodeled our kitchen we went with the formica. That was 12 years ago and no problems. Ask your Mom, she won't steer you wrong! Are y'all coming this way any this fall? Tell your Dad and everyone hello.
bucks n beaks
Veteran

Postby bucks n beaks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:35 am

Can't help on people options, but my wish list includes concrete countertops. Granite would be nice, but super $$$. Porcelain/ceramic tile is also a good pick. Lowe's can do Corian for you also and should be a good price.
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:49 am

We did quartz.....happy so far.
reservoirdawg
Regular

Postby reservoirdawg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 am

Quartz doesn't have to be sealed or resealed like granite. Granite can stain, but as long as you clean up quickly it shouldn't. Not sure on prices, but I believe quartz is less expensive and more durable. Concrete better have a good seal or it will stain like no other.
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:25 pm

We have concrete throughout our entire house. Countertops are 15 months old and look really good. Guy is supposed to come back and put another sealer on them which should last 5-7 years before they will need it again.
Only reason we went with concrete is because we didnt wont something that someone else had. No one can have the same countertops as ours.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Same here Mallard......God will never reproduce the slab of quartz that made my tops :wink:
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Man whatever you do don't put tile on there. I have that in the house we bought in Clinton and we cant stand them. Grout lines always look like crap. The house we had in Vicksburg we remodeled and went with granite and we really liked them. This time we will probably go back to granite or quartz. My advice is pay the piper early and make mama happy or you will be doing it later after listening to it for years.
Peewee
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:12 am

There is such thing as Chinese fake granite. I am remodeling to sell an older(50's) house and doing that in the bathrooms. I'd venture to say 90% of people can't tell the difference.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”